Seed starting

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this question would be better asked on theeasygarden but, I thought I would try on here as well. I planted from seed for the first time this year. So far I started some herbs, tomatoes, broccoli and peppers. So far I have a bunch of lifeless dirt. I am starting over I did not use starter soil just potting soil. Which may have been the problem. I pulled up some of the seeds and they look like I just planted them, nothing sprouted. Are they still alright to replant? Is there anyway to check? I went out and bought some starter mix. I'm hoping that does the trick. I also used rolled up newspaper to make pots to start them in. I was watering twice a day with a spray bottle. Could the newspaper be soaking up the moisture? Obviously, I have no idea what I am doing and I should have done better homework.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
you can try the seeds again. I'd not use a spray bottle, but rather a tray and water from the bottom. They need LOTS of water to germinate and may have stayed too dry to begin germination. They may very well still be viable. They need to be kept warm too and then lighting is important after they come up.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where are you keeping the seed trays??? You may have a temperature issue here. If the seeds aren't kept warm enough they won't germinate.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How long have they been in the soil? Are they indoors or out? if out is the weather really chilly? I agree with them needing lots of water to germinate, until the little guys pop up you probably want to keep the soil moist most of the time, and the spray bottle probably won't cut it.
After they pop up, I'd switch to watering from the bottom so their little roots will streatch through the soil.
You can take your soil out of the paper and stick it in the oven to heat it up and kill off any bad germs, you can also do this in the microwave (stinky but ceaper than buying sterile seed starter), usually you'll see the seedlings pop up and then die if it's a problem sith the soil, I'm betting they just aren't getting enough water to get going... Let us know!! :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Also make sure you have appropriate moisture -- the medium should be damp enough to make your fingers 'dirty' when you touch it, but not so damp that you can squeeze it into a ball that holds together and not so damp you can squeeze drops of water out of it.

How long did you wait? Some of those things you name, like tomatoes and especially peppers, can take weeks to sprout (up to a month for peppers) particularly if the soil is cool.

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How long did you wait? Some seeds, like peppers, can take WEEKS to germinate. Seeds generally want warm, moist soil. Potting soil should be fine, but not dirt from outside.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its been a little over three weeks since I planted them. Maybe I'm too impatient? I keep them ontop of my oven(Its a double stove) so I'm thinking it should be warm enough. Your most likely all right when you mention the water issue. I think my dinky spray bottle was a little too dinky. I think I will try watering from the bottom from now on. Although I don't know if my newspaper pots will hold up if I do that? Good to know that the potting soil is o.k. to use. I already went out and purchased seed starter mix though. So, I will give it a go. Thank you so much for all of your help with this. I love this forum.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used newspaper pots too, and they held up just fine. I put them in a pan so that the would crowd a little and I didn't have to worry, they supported each other. Good luck!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:pop

I have a similar situation, homemaker, I'm interested in how yours comes out.