Seed starting

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Homemaker said:
I keep them ontop of my oven(Its a double stove) so I'm thinking it should be warm enough.
You're sure it never gets TOO warm there? Might want to flop a max/min thermometer down next to the seed trays and see what it peaks at.

Pat

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was sorta wondering the same as Pat when I read that you had them over the stove.

I plant tomatoes and peppers every year, and they usually come up in a week or two. I don't keep them anywhere especially warm, they are on a wire shelving unit in front of a window. They do get the morning sun, but that's it till they poke their heads up and I turn on the grow lights (you can see photos of my setup in my journal).

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The best thing I ever did was sprout the seeds BEFORE planting. I spread them out on a very wet paper towel, then fold it over and place it in a ziploc bag. After a few days, they start to sprout, and then I take them and put them in little pots. Every one comes up within a day or two. It's great for starting some really tough seeds that don't usually sprout well. Now I do it with all my seeds.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
raro said:
The best thing I ever did was sprout the seeds BEFORE planting. I spread them out on a very wet paper towel, then fold it over and place it in a ziploc bag. After a few days, they start to sprout, and then I take them and put them in little pots. Every one comes up within a day or two. It's great for starting some really tough seeds that don't usually sprout well. Now I do it with all my seeds.
That's a great way to check the germination rate on your left-over seeds, too. Many garden seeds are viable for years. Especially if you store them in air tight containers in the freezer. I have some 8 year old green bean seeds that have a 95% germination rate this year. Some plant seeds germinate better when they are a couple-three years old. If I remember correctly, spinach seed doesn't have a very long shelf life, tho.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raro said:
This was a really good tip thank you! I did this with the seeds and nearly all of them sprouted. I just hadn't been watering them thoroughly enough.

Dragonwriter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I won't tell you the best way, I only know my way. Because I live on the dark side of an apartment building, facing north, I start all my seeds indoors. That way I can control warmth, moisture and what messes with them. I also soak my seeds to start them.
Not 100%, but it's only failed me once.

Try it and see if it works.
Dragon