So just wondering what type of seeds y'all use :
Heirloom
Organic
Non - GMO
Hybrids
Etc .
Or Are you a Seed Saver ?
I try to save what I can
Also how do you store your seeds for long term storage?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only none heirloom (open pollinated) vegatable seed I will plant is SH2 Honey N' Pearl Sweet Corn (so delicious) and I know how to grow it well. Other than that everything else is heirloom (open pollinated) and yep I save the seeds.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for tomatoes, red peppers and the large sweet onions we get starts from the greenhouse. for everything else i save seeds. beans, peas, squash, melons, onions, some ornamental flowers.

by far the most varieties i have are beans as i've given up counting how many varieties and selections i have. i'm always finding more and working on cross breeds of my own. this past winter i had to winnow down the collection as i had way too many that i was no longer going to be growing so they all went into the potential eating or worm food bins.

i don't have freezer space for storing anything so they are kept at room temperature and have to be regrown every so many years before they stop being viable. the best way i know to preserve them is to find others to grow them too. the more people who like them and grow them the more chances they have to survive. i'm glad to say that a few of my crosses have now gone overseas to a friend in Poland so they have a good chance of surviving. i am always working on more so those are the fun projects. this year i'm planning on growing 30-50 varieties. i have twice that many i have sitting here that i would like to grow but that's not all going to fit so i have to pick half and hope i can do the rest next year.

heirlooms or possible heirlooms for the beans, squash are mutts and heirlooms. onions are mixed too now. nothing hybrid other than the tomatoes. nothing GMO either that i know of.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have saved seed and bought seed. I prefer heirloom but do have some old favorites like Black Beauty zucchini that even Great Grandma grew.

Only hybrid seed I have is the sweet corn. I do have an heirloom corn I'm trying this year as well. If it does well and we like it, I'll just plant it next year