Self Sufficient Books

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I was digging through the folks library last time I went up for a visit and found some good books...

There was one that was amazing...

Public Works: A Handbook for self reliant living

It was written like 40 years ago but is a wealth of knowledge from building to farming...

You have to take in account when it was written but I recommend it for all.. Found it on amazon. It isn't in print anymore so you will have to get a used one.

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/082563041X/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=used

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. I am always in the market for new books for my SS library. I have some basic ones and then I have some very precise books, that target certain special areas of interest.
I'd say that my library has added a certain degee of wealth to my family.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ya no problem,

It really is quite a book. Just to have really. its close to 1000 pages. Everytime I flip it open there is something new.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Thanks. I am always in the market for new books for my SS library. I have some basic ones and then I have some very precise books, that target certain special areas of interest.
I'd say that my library has added a certain degee of wealth to my family.
Yeah, I can agree with everything you've said there, Rhoda.

I've got a book that you'd likely find only with used-book sellers these days, because it was published in the early 1970s. I've bought a lot of used books! But I've always thought this was quite a good one: Grow It! by Richard Langer. It's a 350-page small-farm guide. Very good basic info on soil management, food gardens, cover crops, grain crops, homestead-level animal raising (various species), and food preservation.

I like the Rodale Encyclopdia of Organic Gardening - try to get one of the later editions, published since 2000 or so.

Like John Henry has said, John Seymour's books are very good. And the Fire Fox series has a lot of neat stuff.

Like Rhoda, though, I feel there is no substitute for the extensive and very specific tech info found in books that specialize in things like carpentry, wiring buildings for electricity, household plumbing, and so on.