self sufficient books

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I got gift cards from Barnes and Nobles for xmas and was looking at all the books out there on self sufficiency and homesteading, gardening, canning, and raising animals and I am just wondering, what books do you consider must haves for self sufficient living?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Girl, my list of favorite books is 2 pages long! :D But I usually borrow books from the library so I can see if they are worth purchasing. That way I don't spend money on a book I never refer to again. Here are some I really love owning or wish I owned. In general most of the Storey Books are good, but I haven't listed them here.

The Home Creamery by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley

A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them by Sue Hubbell

A Country Year: Living the Questions by Sue Hubbell

The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum

The Wild Lawn Handbook: Alternatives to the Traditional Front Lawn by Stevie Daniels

One Acre and Security: How to Live Off the Earth Without Ruining It by Bradford Angier

Herbal Handbook for Farm & Stable by Juliette de Bairacli-Levy

Living at Nature's Pace: Farming & the American Dream Gene Logsdon

All Flesh is Grass: Pleasures & Promises of Pasture Farming by Gene Logsdon

Successful Berry Growing: How to Plant, Prune, Pick, and Preserve Bush and Vine Fruits by Gene Logsdon

Small-Scale Grain Raising by Gene Logsdon

Country Life: A Handbook for Realists and Dreamers by Paul Heiney

Home Farm: A Practical Guide to the Good Life by Paul Heiney

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery

Today's Homestead by Dona Grant

ETA: you can download Carla Emery's 9th edition (the 10th is now available)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never bought a book on self sufficiency.

I used the internet to kinda look at what areas I could start to improve upon.

I did buy books on raising goats, how to handle farmer markets and such cause that was more in my farming business and I needed those resources.

But for just "learn how to can" some veggie or something, I either google the info or ask here...LOL

I am not a book worm and don't want to refer to books for info. Just me, I like to read action/adventure for an escape and enjoy, but not into looking and reading books much about 'how to' etc.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We get a lot from the library too but I bought this for hubby for xmas.
"The Self-Sufficiency Handbook"
Alan Bridgewater; Paperback; $10.36

It is general but lists many resources if saomething hits a cord.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
There are so many books out there plus so much is available on the internet for free. I think Kels idea of borrowing books from the library 1st is a good one. Then if you find something you just can't live without use your gift card.

My favorite books are the Fox Fire books. Even though they have a multitude of info they are really detailed. So when I run across something in one that want to try or know more about I end up having to research it. But the ideas, stories and practical everyday lives of the Appalacian people are wonderful.

Then there is Root Cellaring - by Mike and Nancy Bubel - I love that book. So may ways to store food.

With the way book stores are now, go get you a book and a cup of coffee and sit down and look at one or two. If you don't like them put them back and look at a few more. All over a cup of coffee.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
ITA! Go get a coffee and look through several books for just the right one!! Then you can always make a list that you can take back to the library and get other more books if it exceeds the amount of your gc!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I recently had this book recommended to me but I haven't found it through interlibrary loan yet:
How to Live on Almost Nothing and Have Plenty : A Practical Introduction to Small-Scale Sufficient Country Living by Janet Chadwick

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants by Andrew Chevallier
Shows plants, parts to use and how to prepare for most every illness and complaint.

The New Seed Starter's Handbook by Nancy Bubel
Great book on saving and planting seeds.
There's another called Seed to Seed that is good by Ashworth

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Girl, my list of favorite books is 2 pages long! :D But I usually borrow books from the library so I can see if they are worth purchasing. That way I don't spend money on a book I never refer to again. Here are some I really love owning or wish I owned. In general most of the Storey Books are good, but I haven't listed them here.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery

ETA: you can download Carla Emery's 9th edition (the 10th is now available)
I LOVE this book! Didn't know it was downloadable.....but I like reading in it to put myself to sleep. Lots of cool ideas and ways to do things for less. I did my very first grain grinding while reading her book one night.....she said that if money is tight, go to your feed bin for grain to grind. I ran out to the garage and got some wheat and some corn from my grain barrels, and came in and made the best cornbread I ever ate!

Very inspiring and fun to read. Tons of recipes, too.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Our library just got a new book I am currently reading..

Made From Scratch by Jenna Woginrich.

Jenna is a 20-something who doesn't have a clue about an ss lifestyle - But has a dream. She was lucky to find a mentor at the large corporation she worked at. She wrote about her experiences.

Latest posts