self sufficient books

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
When you do a search at the library for ss stuff what kinds of searches do you do...I don't know if I am just looking in all the wrong places or if my library just doesn't have that much stuff available. I have found a few things in non-fiction with the cookbooks and gardening stuff and raising animals. There is about one small row with the previous subjects. Just curious.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use subject lines like: organic, gardening, farming, homesteading, self-sufficiency, etc.

If you know of a particular author that someone has mentioned, this helps.

My library is kind of short on these types of books but, if you mention you would like to see more of them, they might accomodate you. I mentioned to my library that the "Modern Book of Sheep Farming" was copywritten in 1978 :p and that we live in the middle of sheep country and there is only one sheep book in the whole library! She got a brand new book that had some helpful info in it, was beautiful, and actually included hair breeds. AND, I was just about to buy the same book on Amazon..so now I don't need to! :D

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My favorite: Living on a Few Acres.
Which isn't in my bookcase!!! Where is it?!?!
ugh...
Lin

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
For a great book that contains a huge wealth of information, I would echo "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" as one of the must haves.

I'm working hard to add quite a few hard copy additions to my SS library. The way things are headed, it seems as though paying for an internet connection may be a considered luxury, in the not too distant future. It would be nice to have the actual books, if you can afford them, so that you can reference them if indeed times do get hard.

YMMV ;)

BTW, I picked up a copy of Living on a Few Acres off eBay a while back. It is a hard back addition that was send by a Congressman Solomon of New York, to a constituent. It still had the letter from the congressman in between the pages of the book. I don't believe that the book had even been read. Odd.

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
nightshade said:
Living On a Few Acres.... I was just thinking of buying that how is it?
I love it because it describes things that most wouldn't think of, like where to plant hedges, where to put a barn, how to select a site, what to look for when selecting site, water resources, etc. They also go into different types of country living and the economics of them (it is an older book, the organic trend hadn't started).
I think it is good for someone starting not someone who already has their place set up, but there is still plenty of practical advice.
Lin