self sufficient fundraiser for church, kettle corn question

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we hope to make kettle corn tomorrow as a small fundraiser for a project for our Church,

I was going to make it tomorrow because I have time and help,

I was going to sell it Sat (2days later)

I was going to store it in paper bags in my car , because it is cold out side (freezing) as I thought it would stay crispy and fresh from the cold, (fresh tasting because we are using coconut oil which tastes good the next day...

my question is this, should I really use plastic bags,(instead of paper lunch bags that I was planning on?) everything online says plastic, I can taste plastic when I store foods in it, so I usually avoid it and use paper or glass where I can

paper or plastic, does anyone know from experience?

is paper considered airtight, will the popcorn remain crisp?

I don't have the time to test it now (as I had planned to 2days ago, but forgot)

really appreciate your help!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy kettle corn almost every week at our farmers market. They sell giant plastic bags of it, I store it in my drawer at work and it stays fresh for the entire week until the next farmers market.

I don't think that paper would work as well, but I have no experience with the paper bags.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but I would highly recommend using plastic. As long as the popcorn is completely cool when loading into bags the popcorn will stay crisp for days. In a paper bag it will absorb the moisture from the air and be stale. Good luck, I love kettle corn!

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thank you I will use plastic (better safe than sorry)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
jackiedon said:
Do you mind me asking for a recipe for making kettle corn?

My family loves it.

jackie
My 10 yo loves it too and I'm interested in the recipe too!!! :caf

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stupid question - what the heck is kettle corn? I have always thought it was just popcorn. Am I wrong? Is it different, special, better?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kettle corn is sweet and salty at the same time. It must have sugar on it since it's not sticky like carmel corn, but I dunno for sure :idunno The first time I tried it I didn't realize it was any different and expected fresh popped salty buttered popcorn, but I almost gagged when I got a mouthful of sweet. :sick and that was just because I wasn't expecting it. Now that I know what I'm getting into, it's not so bad.
At our house, hubby doesn't usually eat much popcorn, youngest DS and I loooove our buttery, salty popcorn and middle DS likes Kettle corn. What a mixed bunch, huh

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
whirley pop
Kettle corn

place in your whirley pop internal stirring stove top popcorn popper,
(you can do it in a large pot but it is easy to burn, I think some people add sweet syrup to corn after it is popped instead)

1/3c popping corn

1/4 c coconut oil

cook in pot as usual after three kernals pop
quickly add

1/4c sugar

stirring constantly to prevent burning

as popping dies down remove from heat

dump corn out onto cookie sheet (spread it out slightly)

and sprinkle with salt

when corn cools pick out seeds and break into smaller clumps

enjoy

sorry about the delay, I thought I posted this earlier, but when I checked back I see I must have been doing it in my dreams or something...