Self Sufficient List

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here is a list I saw...just to let everyone check into it and see what they might have missed ......maybe some you don't do now but will??? never know

THINGS YOU CAN DO
(to be more self-sufficient)

How, where and what you do to become self-sufficient is a personal choice. Doing as much as you can yourself in the environment you live is a noble goal. It takes time and discipline to reach your goals but once they are reached it can be quite liberating. Here's a list of things you can do (some big, some small) to become more self-sufficient. You will find that most of these tips will save you money and are good for the environment. Saving money comes hand in hand with self-sufficiency. Your labor is much cheaper than someone else's.

Plant your own vegetable garden.

Change your own oil on your car or truck.

Cut your own firewood.

Collect and use rain water instead of municiple or well water.

Supplement your house's heating system with solar water panels.

Supplement your hot water needs with solar water panels.

Mulch your garden with local organic mulch instead of store bought products.

Use home-made compost and free manure to enrich your garden's soil.

Grow non-hybrid vegetables and save the seeds for next year's planting.

Grow potatoes and save the fingerlings for next years planting.

Use square foot gardening techniques to grow lots of vegetables in small places.

Build a greenhouse to extend your growing season.

Build a root cellar to store your harvest.

Start a small orchard for a variety of fruits.

Learn how to preserve food by canning.

Raise bees to help pollination and for honey. (Honey is the only food substance that will not spoil.)

Raise chickens for meat and eggs.

Raise sheep for wool and meat.

Raise goats or a dairy cow for dairy products.

Preserve vegetables by sun drying them.

Spin wool into yarn for making clothes.

Make your own furniture out of tree branches.

Preserve vegetables by freezing them.

Grow herbs for cooking and medicinal purposes.

Use edible wild plants to supplement one's diet.

Use containers to grow vegetables in small places.

Use chicken manure (composted) to help fertilize your garden.

Use, use and reuse as much as possible before throwing away.

Conserve electricity whenever possible.

Tune-up your own car or truck.

Sharpen your own tools.

Build your own home.

Grow grapes for preserves or raisins.

Build a pond and raise fish for food.

Use solar panels to supplement your energy needs.

Learn how to use a welder.

Use clothes lines to dry clothes instead of a mechanical dryer.

Grow grains to feed your own livestock.

Grow alfalfa to return nitrogen to the soil.

Use a generator for emergency and supplemental power.

Dig or drive your own well (make sure the water is tested before using for drinking).

Bake your own bread.

Do your own plumbing.

Do your own electrical work.

Run a small business from your home.

Barter goods and services with your neighbors.

Use a push mower instead of a gas or electric mower.

Use a bicycle (whenever possible) instead of a motorized vehicle.

Consider becoming a vegetarian. (Raising animals for food takes more energy and resources than growing vegetables--eat lower on the food chain.)

Have any maples trees? Make your own syrup as a sugar substitute.

Not a vegetarian? Supplement your diet by hunting game.

Home school your children. They can incorporate gardening and livestock care into their curriculum and it saves on travel(environmentally sound), uniform costs and school trip expenses(frugal).As well as allowing them to be educated in sustainable living/permaculture. Something schools don't cover!! It's rewards are many fold and results in happy well balanced children!!!!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I think you missed a couple of things. Give me time to think of what they are.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Make soap from animal fat or vegetable oils from your own home production. Use your wood ashes for the lye.

Raise rabbits for meat and fur.

Tan your own leather and use it for clothing or other leather products.

Use a solar clothes dryer.

Don't we have a thread similar to this somewhere? It all sounds familiar. Maybe it is multiple threads.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Plant your own vegetable garden. Do/working on

Change your own oil on your car or truck.Not happening

Cut your own firewood. Used to but DH got sick of asking other people if he could cut off of their property and with his work schedule he just does not have the time to go out and get it cut...cutting the slabs takes enough of his time.

Collect and use rain water instead of municiple or well water. I will stick with my well water for now. I do not live in an area where water is scarce.

Supplement your house's heating system with solar water panels. Too Stinkin' cloudy in NE Ohio to be useful

Supplement your hot water needs with solar water panels.Too Stinkin' cloudy in NE Ohio to be useful

Mulch your garden with local organic mulch instead of store bought products. We try to.

Use home-made compost and free manure to enrich your garden's soil.We try.

Grow non-hybrid vegetables and save the seeds for next year's planting.Going to have to try this.

Grow potatoes and save the fingerlings for next years planting.Going to try this.

Use square foot gardening techniques to grow lots of vegetables in small places. I want to do raised beds this next coming year.

Build a greenhouse to extend your growing season.I wish I had one!

Build a root cellar to store your harvest. A basement would be nice! A root cellar would be a bonus!

Start a small orchard for a variety of fruits. Working on it....we have a few trees but they sure seem to be growing super slowly!

Learn how to preserve food by canning.Did more this year than I have in a long time

Raise bees to help pollination and for honey. (Honey is the only food substance that will not spoil.)I would love to do this...it is on the to do list!

Raise chickens for meat and eggs.Do this!

Raise sheep for wool and meat.Not interested in this...Yet!

Raise goats or a dairy cow for dairy products.I wish I had some!!

Preserve vegetables by sun drying them.I have a dehydrator that works better...not enough sunshine here.

Spin wool into yarn for making clothes.This seems like more work than I want to do! But, I have been looking at altering already made clothes that I find at Goodwill and that people give me to turn into clothes for DD.

Make your own furniture out of tree branches.All of my furniture is already hand-me-down... so they were free. But, I would LOVE to buy new furniture someday!

Preserve vegetables by freezing them.Do this!

Grow herbs for cooking and medicinal purposes.Do a little bit of this

Use edible wild plants to supplement one's diet.Not really much around here.

Use containers to grow vegetables in small places.

Use chicken manure (composted) to help fertilize your garden.Do this.

Conserve electricity whenever possible.I am terrible about this!

Tune-up your own car or truck.Not happening!

Sharpen your own tools.We try.

Build your own home. I WISH WE COULD!!

Grow grapes for preserves or raisins.I planted grape vines but they still look wimpy even after a couple of years

Build a pond and raise fish for food.I wish we had a pond!

Use solar panels to supplement your energy needs.To stinkin' cloudy here!

Learn how to use a welder.NOT on my to do list....neighbor has a welding business in his garage but he charges an arm and a leg to do anything...he is not into the 'doing the neighborly thing'

Use clothes lines to dry clothes instead of a mechanical dryer.We do in the summer

Grow grains to feed your own livestock.

Grow alfalfa to return nitrogen to the soil.

Use a generator for emergency and supplemental power.We have one that other people have used way more than what we have!

Dig or drive your own well (make sure the water is tested before using for drinking).How ever in the world would you do this??

Bake your own bread.Sigh...someday!

Do your own plumbing.DH already does

Do your own electrical work.Dh already does

Run a small business from your home.Someday!

Barter goods and services with your neighbors.Trying!

Use a push mower instead of a gas or electric mower.Not happening!

Use a bicycle (whenever possible) instead of a motorized vehicle.Live to far from everything for this!!

Consider becoming a vegetarian. (Raising animals for food takes more energy and resources than growing vegetables--eat lower on the food chain.)DH and kiddos would think I was trying to kill them by starving them to death!

Have any maples trees? Make your own syrup as a sugar substitute.Would love too!

Not a vegetarian? Supplement your diet by hunting game.We have done good with this this year!
Make soap from animal fat or vegetable oils from your own home production. Use your wood ashes for the lye.Would love to have some goats for this!

Raise rabbits for meat and fur.Would love to...someday!

Tan your own leather and use it for clothing or other leather products.I can already picture the clothes in my head for DD made out of the furs! Now, I just need to find someone to barter and trade with!

Use a solar clothes dryer.Huh? Is this different than hanging your clothes on the line to dry?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Plant your own vegetable garden. Been doing this for years

Change your own oil on your car or truck.Do this and have for years

Cut your own firewood. No wood burning heater If necessary our gas log heater can be converted easily.

Collect and use rain water instead of municiple or well water. In near future plans We have one barrel but have not set it up yet.

Supplement your house's heating system with solar water panels.
Not cost effecient for me

Supplement your hot water needs with solar water panels.
We are discussing this

Mulch your garden with local organic mulch instead of store bought products. Done for years

Use home-made compost and free manure to enrich your garden's soil. Have done this for years

Grow non-hybrid vegetables and save the seeds for next year's planting. Will do this the first time this year, however, seeds are cheap and depending on pollination and your planting area this may not always be guaranteed good seed which you worked so hard to save.

Grow potatoes and save the fingerlings for next years planting.
Plan to do this for the first time this next planting

Use square foot gardening techniques to grow lots of vegetables in small places. This is not really an issue for me

Build a greenhouse to extend your growing season. In my plans but DH is not listening

Build a root cellar to store your harvest. Plan to use an old fridge for this as soon as I find one

Start a small orchard for a variety of fruits. Done, but its a slow grow

Learn how to preserve food by canning. Do this

Raise bees to help pollination and for honey. (Honey is the only food substance that will not spoil.) DH says NO WAY, he is allergic to bee and wasp stings I did point out to him that our Ag Dept is offering a $180 reimbursment to any 1st time starting out beekkeeper for the purchase of 2 hives and some bees.

Raise chickens for meat and eggs. Do this

Raise sheep for wool and meat. Only interested in this if I happen to survive the end of the world.

Raise goats or a dairy cow for dairy products. Goats are on the agenda in the next year or two. I am shooting for next year.

Preserve vegetables by sun drying them. Can do this but prefer the dehydrator as long as I have electricity.
Spin wool into yarn for making clothes.

Make your own furniture out of tree branches. Can and have - but right now I am good to go with what I have:D

Preserve vegetables by freezing them. To me this does not fit as it requires a freezer. But anyway - I do this

Grow herbs for cooking and medicinal purposes. Done Deal

Use edible wild plants to supplement one's diet. I use some wild plants for salad greens.

Use containers to grow vegetables in small places. Right off my own front porch

Use chicken manure (composted) to help fertilize your garden.
Use Chicken and Rabbit

DH says I can turn chicken manure into chicken salad and then recycle the by product into a dress. LOL

Conserve electricity whenever possible. Lord, I try but I still live with the same ole people who are like "what are you doing"?

Tune-up your own car or truck. We do

Sharpen your own tools. Always have

Build your own home. We did - no mortgage either plus built with a lot of free stuff. Not going to make the cover of Southern Living but we are enjoying it.

Grow grapes for preserves or raisins. Not going to happen here, we are working on muscadines though

Build a pond and raise fish for food. Not enough room plus we live close to a great fishing spot.

Use solar panels to supplement your energy needs. Discussed and dismissed for right now

Learn how to use a welder. Can and do

Use clothes lines to dry clothes instead of a mechanical dryer.

Grow grains to feed your own livestock. Not enough room

Grow alfalfa to return nitrogen to the soil. See above

Use a generator for emergency and supplemental power. Emergency use only

Dig or drive your own well (make sure the water is tested before using for drinking). Not sure we have the equipment for this but have discussed having it done.

Bake your own bread. Every week plus sell some

Do your own plumbing. We do

Do your own electrical work. We do

Run a small business from your home. (DH does tractor work on the side and I sell bread and eggs) Does that count even though we both work full time jobs.

Barter goods and services with your neighbors. Ummmm, bartering is not required in this neighborhood. If you need it and I have it, sure use it. I give away eggs, DH grades driveways, one neighbor has a big welder and he does the big stuff for us, one is a cabinet builder and I have the best custom built new kitchen bar FREE except for the tile on the counter top which we bought and laid.

Use a push mower instead of a gas or electric mower. Surely you jest I mean gee, I can but do I have to.

Use a bicycle (whenever possible) instead of a motorized vehicle.
Not possible for me considering how far I am for the nearest store and 27 miles one way to work. I will buy a horse first.

Consider becoming a vegetarian. (Raising animals for food takes more energy and resources than growing vegetables--eat lower on the food chain.) Not happenin in this household unless as stated above - I happen to survive the end of the world and veggies is all I have to eat.

Have any maples trees? Make your own syrup as a sugar substitute. Would love to and we have discussed raising sugar cane.

Not a vegetarian? Supplement your diet by hunting game. We always have

A couple of things I noted on this list are that it suggest freezing food and using an electric mower - those just don't seem to fit in. As far as digging your own well. That is just not possible for most people to do safely.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Build a greenhouse to extend your growing season. In my plans but DH is not listening
Raise sheep for wool and meat. Only interested in this if I happen to survive the end of the world.
LOL!!!!