selling chicken eggs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't even try to compete with the store prices. I can't. I wouldn't do that to myself anyway. If someone thinks those eggs are as good as mine, they are welcomed to go to the store, because someone else will buy my eggs. I don't even have my sign in front our street anymore because I don't want all kinds of people coming here anymore but I can't keep eggs very long. Someone who likes fresh eggs will be willing to pay more for them. Now one thing that can hurt you is if your neighbors that have chickens decide to have a price war with you, but then you can barter, instead of sell. Or you can incubate and sell chicks, which would give you much more for what comes out of the egg than you ever could have gotten otherwise. I let people outsell me. They can't keep it up long before they notice that its too expensive to beat me in sales. When I talk to my competition, I tell them straight up that they can't hurt me, by outselling me, that I get $3/doz, and that if they sell for less, they will be sorry, because they won't make a profit and then their chickens will be spent and need replacing. I used to think differently, but I'm not about to run my coop at a loss. And my birds are mine....not Cut Off's.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Agreeing with Rhoda Bruce. Just had friends tell me today that they bought store eggs to make cookies to gift their neighbors, as they didn't want to use up my "good eggs." I have far more comments on the taste of our eggs than our stunning organic vegetables! People e-mail from trips to tell me how their kids won't touch the eggs at someone else's house, etc. Fresh eggs are SO much better than storebought, especially pastured fresh eggs. You should charge more for them, certainly not less.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Absolutely charge more for them! People will recognize quality given the opportunity to taste how eggs were intended to taste. :)

Arica

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
In wa I sell eggs for 3.75 a dozen and am always sold out a lot of people can sell eggs for 4-5$ per dozen nf are always sold out.I would not recomend selling to the store because it would take you a while to make a profit if you have a farmers market you could have a license but charge three to four dollars a dozen

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Absolutely charge more for them! People will recognize quality given the opportunity to taste how eggs were intended to taste. :)
there are some exceptions if you have never tasted a REAL egg they just don't taste 'right' I remember the shock that my city boy brother in law showed when he saw his first real egg. First was where they come from it took alot to convince him that all eggs were laid that way. then when he saw the bright orange yoke he bulked again. my mom scrambled with milk and bacon bits and those he ate. even 20 years later he still would rather have a factory egg over a farm egg ~gd

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom can't eat the store eggs. I've asked on BYC and what we can figure is that she's probably allergic to the egg wash. I just took her down 13 dozen eggs. She hordes those things as precious. She's just so happy to be able to eat eggs after not being able to for well over a decade.

I'm going to have to raise prices on my eggs to $2.75. The feed prices just have crept and the extra quarter will help on that. My birds free range a lot which does help on feed prices and I'm thinking of fermenting feed to try and help reduce consumption a bit more.