1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Selling eggs to morons

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by Chic Rustler, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Feb 27, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

So i posted an add. Fresh eggs $3 a dozen. I got this reply

Screenshot_20190226-180121.png

Loooong sigh. Like you can turn chickens on pasture in the dead of winter without feed

2. Feb 27, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Don't let it get to you. Plenty out there who ask questions and Know not "why". :lol: The even complain about $3 for fresher than they get at grocery for $5.

I tell them
    mine eat flies & the larva (maggots), crickets, worms, horse and goat poop, fresh grass, old veggies, food tossed from plates, scratch & laying mash. Yeah, the poop part generally makes their eyes swell. :D:eek::oops:

Those who KNOW chicken diets, don't ask. They just applaud the huge yellow yolks and taste. :idunno

It's kinda funny to see their faces and hear the replies. :caf

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    sumi, Hinotori, Chic Rustler and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 27, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Funny, my birds eyes don't swell when they eat poop. Doesn't bother my dog's eyes, either! :lol:

canesisters, Mini Horses and baymule like this.
  4. Feb 27, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I have a few egg customers and they are delighted to get our eggs. I think I will discontinue this for next year and cut back on my layers. It's more of a PIA than it's worth.

Chic Rustler and NH Homesteader like this.
  5. Feb 27, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I don't sell eggs anymore. It's not worth it. I would sell them as an add - on if I was if I had a farmers market booth or a store, but iyad not worth the hassle or extra feed to keep extra hens just to sell eggs. I try to have enough for us and my parents, that's about it.

6. Feb 27, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

That person has obviously never raised a chicken before. Mine will go out on the "range" here shortly but what's the sense of it during the winter?

tortoise and Mini Horses like this.
  7. Feb 27, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Because snow is non GMO. Might be full of chemtrail crap, but it's otherwise pure and clean. LOL LOL LOL

tortoise and Mini Horses like this.
  8. Feb 27, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I quit bothering with selling eggs. I had complaints about the $2.50 price for my free range blue eggs because it wasn't $1 a dozen like the mass produced white eggs are on sale.

There is one store around here that gets blue eggs in occasionally. They run $7 plus a dozen.

I just have a few ameraucana and EEs for eggs for us and occasionally giving away now. The silkie eggs get pickled mostly. Takes 3 of them to make a large egg.

Mini Horses likes this.
  9. Feb 27, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Good one! Yeah, the people, not the animals. Don't know why as those yuppies/milleniums (whatever?) are into "recycling" :lol: Poo to eggs seems like the best way.

I would cut back on egg sales but, almost all of mine are families that WANT the fresh, free range and not "general public". They even suffer through the winter slacking. I still give away and my kids (2 grown) use them. ME? May eat 2 or 3 a month. They are good for you and I try to make myself eat them more often but, I really am not a big egg fan. So, unless I have a lot of peppers/onions, etc., to add to very well cooked scrambled -- hmm. But, I absolutely love to collect eggs from the nests!! :D And the girls do a lot of bug control. They go broody and give me more roos than pullets most years. I just bought a new hatchet 2 days ago -- some roos are waiting for me to add them to the freezer. Not fun but, that's where chicken comes from! Time for more bone stock, too.:old

baymule and Hinotori like this.
  10. Feb 27, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I've got some I need to do too....