Selling vegetable seedling

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do you any of you sell your vegetable seedling. If so, how much do charge. I planning on planting extra and selling at a flea market that we do every sunday from spring to fall.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Look to see what they're going for in your area, and charge that amount, or a little less. It's what I've done in the past when I have extras for sale.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenjoe said:
Do you any of you sell your vegetable seedling. If so, how much do charge. I planning on planting extra and selling at a flea market that we do every sunday from spring to fall.
The only vegetable seedingsI have ever seen for sale are those of the cabbage group and they tend to be cheap. usually about a quarter per six pack. Fruits like tomatoes and Peppers do much better, the more rare they are, the higher the prices. Heirlooms often bring 5-6x of things like "big boy" Pepper nuts will pay hot prices for hot peppers. I am sensitive to peppers so stay away but I did hear a young dude bragging that he had paid only $2 EACH for single plants. As always it depends on your local market....

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
chickenjoe said:
The only vegetable seedingsI have ever seen for sale are those of the cabbage group and they tend to be cheap. usually about a quarter per six pack. Fruits like tomatoes and Peppers do much better, the more rare they are, the higher the prices. Heirlooms often bring 5-6x of things like "big boy" Pepper nuts will pay hot prices for hot peppers. I am sensitive to peppers so stay away but I did hear a young dude bragging that he had paid only $2 EACH for single plants. As always it depends on your local market....
I was figuring on selling tomotoes and peppers. I was thinking about a 1 or 2 a piece.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I usually sell for a dollar a 6 pack...when I sell any :hu Everybody grows tomato starts here though.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Whoa--I charge much, much more! Tomatoes and peppers around here go for $2.50/3" pot. I sell 3-packs of kale, cabbage and chard for $3. One small pot (1 1/2") of basil for $2-3.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow...maybe i should move and open a nursery :lol: Nobody would pay that much here. The high schools raise and sell seedlings for that price, and so the competition makes it impossible to sell higher :/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Where are you again? If I couldn't sell higher, I wouldn't sell at all. If you figure out how much time it takes to water plants and tend them for 4-12 weeks, plus all your costs, I cannot see how it would be possible to even cover costs at 6 for $1. I've seen over and over again that the cheapest price is NOT always what sells best. And I don't live in a wealthy area--I live in rural WI.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm in rural TN, and I mainly sell to family anyway. I do a bit better than breaking even :lol: