Senate bill fines people refusing health coverage

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I know that is not final yet, but hold on to your checkbooks and your "freedom". We're from the government, and we're here to help.

:(

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer Ricardo Alonso-zaldivar, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON Americans who refuse to buy affordable medical coverage could be hit with fines of more than $1,000 under a health care overhaul bill unveiled Thursday by key Senate Democrats looking to fulfill President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

Read the rest of the story here .

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is what Massachusets does, already. There are plenty of people in Mass that have opted to pay the fine instead because it is cheaper than their portion of the cost of the health care that the state offers, and they cant afford the extra health care cost still. I saw a segment on a program quite a while back on TV about this. I think I saw it during the primaries. Funny you don't hear anything about that now that the "BigO" is proposing it.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep, welcome to Massachusetts, the state with mandatory health care that's already unable to function financially. It's going to be a wonderful thing when it's spread country-wide :rolleyes:

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whose definition of affordable? What's affordable to someone making $100,000+ a year versus someone making $25,000 a year are two different thing.

Health insurance is the main reason DH works out. It's the main reason in most farm families that one partner works out. And now not, only are jobs getting harder to find but, jobs with health insurance benefits are getting even harder to find.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
One of the main reasons I am extremely disappointed in the direction the health care debate is going nationally. I do not think I like being mandated to enrich the insurance companies. Which is what is going to happen. They are also talking about taxing you for the portion of your health plan that your employer contributes as taxable income. Lovely.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Healthcare is an enormous mess. I don't expect it will get fixed the first time through, but I'm glad for there to be a lot of attention on it now. It is my parents' (they own their own business) hugest expense and the reason I have to work off the farm (unaffordable health care otherwise).

I imagine that people who choose to not have insurance often end up in the ER, which is a drain on the whole system. Not trying to start an argument here, just pointing that out. So, it's possible this fine is just to put some of that cost back in their laps...

I also imagine that there will still be "gap" insurance for those who cannot afford any plan and aren't insured through their employer, like what states offer their citizens.

What I would love to see--but will probably never happen--is Americans doing everything they can to protect their own health. Less smoking, drinking, junk food, more exercise, working hard, spending time with friends and family. Our health system is completely mucked down mostly in the cost of diseases that are either partially or completely preventable. Again, I am not trying to sling mud here, but it really is a fact.

I work for a medical clinic. It would also help our system if folks came to the doctor only when necessary. Seriously, most things really can be treated with rest, lots of fluids and good food. Seroiusly.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My husband I have an LLC. We would be forced to get insurance or pay the fine. Funny thing...when you own an LLC and you have an employee health plan, as owners you aren't eligible to participate in your own health plan you are paying for.

I guess we are paying the fine if this crap passes. Just because you own a business doesn't mean you are rich. Heck...we have been slowly working our way up to middle class. So much for that.

:rant

Our health system is completely mucked down mostly in the cost of diseases that are either partially or completely preventable
This is very true...but not many want to address the CAUSE - refined carbohydrates, sugars and starches.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I work for a medical clinic. It would also help our system if folks came to the doctor only when necessary. Seriously, most things really can be treated with rest, lots of fluids and good food. Seroiusly.
While I completely agree with your ideas of preventative care, and understand your concept of visiting the doctor only out of necessity, most of us aren't medically trained to recognize what our symptoms mean. Many serious illnesses mimic common symptoms. Add a fever to the mix and I'm not confident that I am even thinking correctly. Hesitating to visit a doctor in some flu and cold situations by treating with fluids and rest could lead to life threatening pneumonia.
There needs to be someone available to screen the symptoms for the physician, either by phone or nurse visit. Dh's PC physician's nurse guarantees a phone response within 24 to 48 hours, a shockingly slow response, so we head to the ER. Granted, his circumstances warrant drastic action, but others might, too.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The thing that amazes me is that we have people looking to D.C. for answers to a fiscal problem when said government has an incredibly long history of being totally incapable of showing any type of fiscal responsibility.

Take the last stimulus package for example. If it works, we private sector taxpayers have to pay it off, and if it fails, we private sector taxpayers have to pay it off. What a convoluted circle this is!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes...why are we expecting the people who caused the problems in the first place to fix anything?

Another thing...

Insurance and health care ARE NOT the same thing.