Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had our grand daughters for the past week. One morning it was raining, I realized that my corn, drying on the stalk for cornmeal, was getting wet, so I ran out and picked all of it. I sat on the porch, stripping the husks back and tying them in bunches. The 3 year old came out on the porch to play. Sentry was hanging out on the porch, enjoying chewing on a bone.

Here came the 3 year old and she grabbed Sentry's bone. He didn't want to give it up and bit down on it. Now this is a food aggressive dog with the other dogs and he will run Carson off his food. We have to monitor them at meal times. So I was watching, coiled like a watch spring, ready to come down on him with all the fury of a protective Mamaw. She continued to pull and tug on the bone, finally wrenching it out of his mouth. He wrinkled up his face, ears up, like he was saying, "That's MY bone!" Not a growl, not a snap of teeth, no aggression whatsoever. Then she started running back and forth the length of the porch with his bone. He followed, with that wrinkled face that is so darn cute, making no effort to reclaim his bone. She finally offered his bone back and he gently took it from her fingers. I was proud of him.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today Sentry got a leash lesson. He proudly took the leash in his mouth and led me around. A new game!

76ece9d2-d5c1-4a5b-a6f2-70645a96e414-jpeg.66772

We walked, stopped, come, praise and ear rub. Ringo came too.

499fc1f6-e5fa-499d-9be4-b46705c249ed-jpeg.66771

When Sentry wanted to play tug, I didn’t scold or fuss. I just said Sentry come, he did, then lots of good boys and praise. Ringo is no dummy. Sentry got praise, Ringo wanted praise and rubs too. We walked, Ringo walked. We stopped, Ringo stopped. I praised both, rubbing ears to both their delight.

a58382c2-58b7-4ffa-9eb1-ae624d7fc07c-jpeg.66773

Sentry likes to hang out with Ringo. When he gets too annoying, Ringo rumbles and swings his big head, sweeping Sentry away.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I fed Sentry this evening and fed Sheep. Sentry laid by his bowl, not eating, but guarding it from Chicken, the free range hen. I saw him not eating and asked him what’s wrong. I sat down, petted and praised him, then he ate. He wanted my company and didn’t want to eat alone.

07491120-3921-4CEC-A95E-E3096BD5A216.jpeg

After he finished, he got a drink. Then he stared off in the distance at something I couldn’t see.

BE8686EA-A4BA-4222-92A1-412B27196601.jpeg

We went for his evening walk around the pasture, he likes his special time.

I pulled hay off the hay bale for Ringo and Scottie. I pulled hay for the ewes and lambs. Before I left Sentry’s pasture, I gave him hugs and told him to keep the girls safe tonight. I went in the barn for a last inspection and caught this picture. Sentry has a piece of the barn for shelter, just beyond him is Ringo and Scottie. To the right, not in the picture, is the sheep’s round bale. Sentry was watching over them and looked so darn cute with his feet hanging through the wire.

B09AFC25-B069-4559-A770-E29D89217390.jpeg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sentry was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia and has had Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO) surgery.

We are on Day 5 of post op and he is doing well. he is using the leg for several steps now, then doing a hop skip, then more steps. I will keep y'all updated.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wednesday will be 4 weeks post surgery. Sentry continues to get better and better. Might seem like a small thing, but now, not every time, but I have seen him stand on his surgery leg and hike his other leg to pee. That is HUGE. He wants to run and play so bad, I don’t dare let him go! I snapped this picture yesterday of him and Carson playing, on what I allow to be on Sentry’s terms.

3D44711A-6718-4FBC-8D07-ED9672B9CF40.jpeg

That is true friendship. Carson geared it down to what Sentry can do.

I didn’t move the gate out on Sentry’s pen. Thinking about this week. Maybe. Just worried about him running up and down and hurting himself. We’ll see. Right now he is a dog rug in the living room floor. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bless you, Bay, for having the wisdom and compassion enough to put your own feelings aside for the well being of Sentry. Many will not do that in this world and they call it love, but true love is putting that creature's life ahead of your own heart, no matter what. :hugs You have done and are doing all you can to insure he has a good life and I'm sure you will know when it's time to give him a good ending to his story as well. It's a hard thing to do,closing that book.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our son came for an overnight visit last week. He was sitting in the recliner sofa, feet up, boots off, and Sentry cautiously approached and sniffed DS's feet. It was a big moment. :lol: Sentry licked a toe, sniffed again, then backed off to sit by me, on guard. :gig:gig

Next day, DS and I were sitting on the truck tailgate and he scooted over next to me and hugged me. Sentry immediately rose up and barked. I told him it was ok and he quieted down, but kept that stare on DS. I've had dogs that were devoted to me, but none that intensely guarded me like Sentry does.

When Sentry is in the house, he is where ever I am. In the kitchen, I step over him. If I am sitting in the recliner, he is under the footrest and I have to carefully lower the footrest before I can get up. If I am moving around, he positions himself where he can watch me. Outside, he is at my side. Once he satisfies himself that I am safe, he will go play with the other dogs, watch the sheep or go under the porch to cool off. If I am in the garden, he picks a shady spot outside the fence where he can be near to me.