Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sentry is steadily making progress. He gets more time with the ewes and lambs. A few days ago, I left him with them all afternoon while I worked in the garden. None of them were running in terror, so that means he was behaving. I even left him alone for an hour or two and he did just fine. When I went to let him out so I could feed him, he started wanting to chew on the lamb's faces and ears. "Sentry! No!" He stopped.

He started barking at a neighbor a couple of weeks ago, I told him "Sentry! Hush! That's Enough!" He kept barking. "Sentry! Hush! That's enough". He sat down, wrinkled up his face, deep in thought. He looks so darn cute when he does that.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just caught up on this thread, he is a gorgeous dog and sounds like he's a lovely addition for you!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We will see how it goes. Thank you for your kind words.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maggie sleeps like that: on her back, legs all splayed in different directions, head cocked off sideways, and half upside down. she looks like a bit of mangled road kill.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was worth a shot to try to fix what was wrong. His leg bone wasn't popped out of socket, there was no socket. His femur was sticking out, knocking bone on bone and it was painful. The surgery took care of the pain, so it was worth it to stave off the immediate emergency. Anything more than that going forward won't fix him, it will just drag things out. You just have to know when to stop.

Our 3 year old granddaughter came to me the other day to show me the slobbered smear on her cheek and told me "Sentry kissed me!"

Dear Lord, it's going to be hard.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s a drizzly day. I had 2 rows ready in the garden for planting English peas. I left BJ, Sentry and Carson in the house, ran out and got my English peas planted. These dogs have it rough.

Carson always sleeps in the weirdest positions.

DF942D8B-0874-4305-881B-BC436561AA9C.jpeg

Your dog is drunk

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for introducing us to Sentry @baymule! We look forward to seeing more of him - congrats, he's featured on our homepage! :thumbsup

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks. It wasn’t meant to be a chronical of hip dysplasia but that is what it has morphed into. Maybe our experience can help someone else facing this problem. Or even better yet, be extremely careful in purchasing a puppy.