Serious newbie questions about canning

moodlymoo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
First I will say sorry for what are most likely duh questions

I have only ever canned applesauce and apple butter. How and what else can I can? Other than jars/lids/rings what do you need?

Please treat me like that annoying little kid pulling on your apron in the kitchen...I need lessons badly and my family is so snooty they wont do anything themselves but I also dont see them helping me with my grocery bill so Im totally on my own here.

Thank you so much

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Oh my - what can't you can? I can chicken, meatloaf, potatos, beans.......etc.

To can those type of things you need - #1 A pressure canner and #2 Balls Canning Book. The pressure canner will be your major expense. Buy the very best one you can afford, which to me would be this one http://www.allamericancanner.com/
But it took me years to save enough money to buy one. I started with a Mirror Pressure Canner and it served its purpose - actually I still have it and use it occasionally but I love my All American Canner.

Make sure you get a Pressure Canner and not a pressure cooker - they are two different things.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pickyourown.org is a great site for info and recipes.

I would suggest water bath canning to start. Get your feet wet so to speak. Jams, pickles high acid foods and tomato products can all be safely water bath canned.

Its addictive. Once you get the gist of things you will start wanting to can your own everything!!!

Good luck,

g

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No such thing as a stupid question, and we're glad to help!

I got most of my canning instructions from http://pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

and of course, the page won't completely load for me now, but it might for you!

You can can all kinds of vegetables, fruits, meats, juices, jellies and jams, pie fillings, soups...I've even seen bacon that was canned (it looked terrible in the jar) and some people have canned butter (but I read the the gov't doesn't recommend it).

Some equipment makes it easier, such as a jar lifter, a little magnet do dad to get lids out of boiling water, and of course a canner (pressure and/or water bath). But if you don't have the jar lifter, you could probably still get the job done.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TanksHill! You type faster than I do! :lol: It's a great site, isn't it?

Moodly, check out the 'make your own _____' mixes, too at http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/creamsoupmix.htm

I make a basic soup mix that's dry so I can store it on the shelf. I can make cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of celery soups from it. You can also use it for gravy, to thicken chicken and noodles, etc. Doesn't cost too much to make, less than a dollar, but equals 9 cans of soup.
Anything you normally use in the kitchen, there might be a good substitute that you can make - basic cake mix, self rising flour, Bisquik. Our grocery bill dropped like a stone after I started making my own mixes.

moodlymoo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Marianne said:
TanksHill! You type faster than I do! :lol: It's a great site, isn't it?

Moodly, check out the 'make your own _____' mixes, too at http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/creamsoupmix.htm

I make a basic soup mix that's dry so I can store it on the shelf. I can make cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, cream of celery soups from it. You can also use it for gravy, to thicken chicken and noodles, etc. Doesn't cost too much to make, less than a dollar, but equals 9 cans of soup.
Anything you normally use in the kitchen, there might be a good substitute that you can make - basic cake mix, self rising flour, Bisquik. Our grocery bill dropped like a stone after I started making my own mixes.
Does it make 9 cans of condensed or 9 cans of diluted condensed soup? So if I mix 1/3 w/ 1 1/4 do I get the soup goo or the soup?

moodlymoo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have very full cupboards currently because I had a HUGE gift card to costco so I stocked up on canned goods, bulk baking goods, and some meats so Im good right now but if I will start replacing that stuff as I get low with homemade goods

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You get the soup, like if you added the water to the canned stuff, but maybe a bit thicker. I have found that I can't add the dry mix to HOT liquid. For some reason, it won't completely dissolve..maybe the cornstarch? So I stir it up with a bit of cold water, then add to the hot liquid (broth, whatever).

If you need it thicker, don't add as much water, you can always add more if it's needed. Most of the time, I don't measure any more.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, you probably need a pressure canner. And more jars. Always more jars.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd highly suggest a good basic canning book like Ball's Complete Guide to Home Canning. Not only does it have 100s of recipes, but it explains the entire process clearly and with detail. Good luck!