milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've got to share!! I'm praising the Lord tonight for answered prayers, and for providing for us over and above anything I've expected or even asked for!!:weee:weee

I've recently been thinking a lot about sewing as a side income. I've sewn simple things, and can follow a pattern. I have a friend who lives close who used to sew wedding dresses, and two in another state who both sewed for income. One had her own sewing and alteration business. All are willing to help me learn.

The friend with the sewing and alteration business is retiring and has been cleaning out her basement... by sending the supplies and materials to me.:weee:weee I'll be sending her some money, but she's intent on setting me up right. For me this is a huge blessing as this will allow me to work from home while still being there to help my husband and son with their medical issues. The timing couldn't be more perfect. She is also happy to be able to pass on a lot of her stuff as her husband is on hospice, and she has been drastically downsizing. She has been setting aside a LOT of things she had started (much of it already cut out and pinned, but not finished.)
I've received 4 boxes in the mail so far this week, plus half a truck load the last time I was there to visit. So I'll be watching for a better sewing machine and a surger, but I'll be set up to start soon.
For me, and for my friend, this is an answer to prayer for both of us. It's a sharing of knowledge and skills and materials from friend to friend, but also from one generation to another. The end of her business will be the start of my own, and I'll pick up right where she left off on many projects. And this fits right into our desire for me to be able to work from home. I'm also excited to be starting a trade that has been passed on from woman to woman (and often men too) from generation to generation, probably as far back as Adam and Eve's fig leaves...:D
Here are just a few of my beginning supplies, with much more to come::weee

Little girls dresses and some corduroy outfits with matching pants (also a box of little boy and girl outfits), sizes 2-6:

IMG_20190822_130859952.jpg

An entire box of little girls dresses that are already cut out and pinned together and just need to be sewn. She's also sending me a box of cullottes, and one of nightgowns and sleepwear, and other projects she had started but not completed. She calls me her "finisher.":D
IMG_20190819_182935186.jpg

Thread, thread, and more thread...
IMG_20190818_210227925.jpg

Material in all sizes and colors:
IMG_20190818_180445282.jpg

Patterns: (2 large file cabinets' worth coming my way...)
IMG_20190818_180438278.jpg

Lace, trim, bows, elastic (zippers and buttons and pins and more coming soon...)
IMG_20190818_175932538.jpg

And more and more thread::celebrate
IMG_20190818_175828270.jpg

All kinds of ribbon and trim...
IMG_20190818_175842563.jpg

We had a need, and I have a willingness to learn, and friends that the Lord has provided along the way. And the Lord has been supplying every part of this new adventure including the desire.
So far all I have in the business are the many hours I've spent with this friend helping her through the years. Who knew that my very need for supplimental income would coincide with her need to clear out her vast stores of materials from her business?? Only God knew, and I thank him for providing so abundantly and clearly! :celebratePraise God!

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_131148416.jpg
    IMG_20190822_131148416.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 351

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree @CrealCritter! I'm not quite sure how or when "work" became a bad thing, but I really enjoy good work, taking scraps (of cloth, wood, metal, food or just about any other "material") and making something useful and productive. I feel better at the end of the day when I've invested some good, old-fashioned, time and sweat equity into a project! :D

I don't expect to do a lot of sweating while I sew, but it will make it possible to suppliment income when my husband's retirement becomes final, and I'll be able to stay here on the homestead working with the animals and gardens.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's fantastic @milkmansdaughter . Yes, God does provide in many fantastic ways, above and beyond our imaginings. I have a friend who retired a number of years ago, and is now busy with a home business selling pressure and weighted vests, and weighted blankets. She often can't keep up with her orders. The profits from this go towards maintaining her handicap (For w/c and blind) accessible lake front property that is available for any and all who have needs to use. She has also used profits to fund trips to Africa. She picks up old fashioned treadle sewing machines and refurbishes them. Then she goes to an orphanage, teaching the girls to sew and maintain the machines. This gives them a skill to earn a living instead of being turned out onto the streets and prostitution when they age out of the orphanage.

Praise God. Your friend is a skilled seamstress. Those patterns are a God-send. Have you priced them lately? Often $10.00 each!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Praise God, indeed! They have all kinds of patterns and such show up at the Restore down here...I'll keep an eye out for more modern, current patterns and those for wedding things. I think your money maker will likely be in weddings, christenings, shower gifts, and alterations.

I hope you can implement all the free wood you get to build some storage solutions for all your sewing stuff...I'd get a handy son on that when next he comes home. ;)

God is good, all the time. He provides for our needs before we even know we are going to need them. :hugs

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree @CrealCritter! I'm not quite sure how or when "work" became a bad thing, but I really enjoy good work, taking scraps (of cloth, wood, metal, food or just about any other "material") and making something useful and productive. I feel better at the end of the day when I've invested some good, old-fashioned, time and sweat equity into a project! :D

I don't expect to do a lot of sweating while I sew, but it will make it possible to suppliment income when my husband's retirement becomes final, and I'll be able to stay here on the homestead working with the animals and gardens.

Well you bring up a good point... Work is not a bad thing at all.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have received some wonderful stuff!! And sewing is not only creative but, so helpful for so many. Not only clothing but, consider specialty items as well -- home décor; pet blankets, beds, & jackets; stuffed toys, doll clothes and the list goes ON.

There is so much you can do with this gift, from home, your own time line, etc. I did several prom dresses, weddings, etc. but not for more than family & friends. I didn't want to be unable to have everything "done on time" But my DS, DD & 4 GDD sure enjoyed my talent. Alterations were ongoing for their "store bought" clothes. It's a "perfect" job for those with the time to work it.

Congrats on all the "freebies" :clap

And yes, patterns are unreal in price :ep I have soooo many, in most every size, male & female! Some were like $1.99, now there are way up there. I could not believe it when I saw $12.50 on a pattern! WHAT??? Since I learned years ago to alter patterns, combine features, etc. you will see that MOST are basic with added "frills".

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could not believe it when I saw $12.50 on a pattern! WHAT??? Since I learned years ago to alter patterns, combine features, etc. you will see that MOST are basic with added "frills".

I was just on the phone with my friend yesterday, and she's been going through many years of patterns, and will be giving me most of two large filing cabinets of them. She's also giving me a whole roll of pattern paper, so i can make my own patterns. She already taught me how to make patterns larger and smaller.
I've found that many old-fashioned patterns can be made up to date with small changes.

@Mini Horses you mentioned other things you can do with the same skills. That's what my friend is doing now. She has moved from her sewing and alterations to making doll clothes for 18" dolls (American Girl style dolls.) A lady at her church sells them for her online. She can do that with just a fraction of the space and materials she needed when making real clothes, and she's still able to to use her talent to supplement her own income.

Latest posts