Sewing machine problem--FIXED :)

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my sewing machine. I'm trying to sew cotton material. I have always used the Universal needles with cotton but, I was told my trouble is the needle. I tried a new one and still had the same problem. My SIL suggested trying the quilting needles. So I bought some and the problem still exists.

What it's doing is, it sews fine as long as I'm speeding along. But, if I stop or go slow it misses picking up the bottom thread and I end up with long stitches that want to pucker the fabric up.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try to correct the problem?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Try putting a piece of freezer paper behind it when sewing for stabalizer and then just tear it off when you are done.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, the machine has sewn cotton just fine before and I sew a lot of cotton. I shouldn't have to use freezer paper for it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing and one day it completely froze. Can't move the needle up or down. I have a hunch it is a timing issues between the bobbin and the needle. Mine ultimately jammed. Can't afford a repair right now, so there she sits, along with my SIL's jammies that need altering !

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Mine did the same thing and one day it completely froze. Can't move the needle up or down. I have a hunch it is a timing issues between the bobbin and the needle. Mine ultimately jammed. Can't afford a repair right now, so there she sits, along with my SIL's jammies that need altering !
OH NO!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Have you oiled it?

Frosting, have you cleaned and oiled yours? Just asking, because I had similiar problems and was sure it was the machines fault, then realized I hadn't oiled it LOL

Also, check your tension.

fosterchick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There is like a hook idea in the bobbin area. The part (hook thing) could be worn down. I have replaced mine many times. You would have to have a repair man fix that, if that is the problem.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
What brand sewing machine is it, Frosting?
It's a Good Housekeeper and a very basic model.

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Ldychef2k said:
Have you oiled it?

Frosting, have you cleaned and oiled yours? Just asking, because I had similiar problems and was sure it was the machines fault, then realized I hadn't oiled it LOL

Also, check your tension.
I had just cleaned and oiled it before I put it away this spring but, when it gave trouble I redid it.

Tension is fine also.