Sewing Machines

Betsy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm going to get a sewing machine so I can learn how to sew and was wondering what brand you all would recommend. I'd love to get a treadle machine, but the one Lehman's has is too expensive and finding an older one seems difficult. So..it looks like I'll be stuck with an electric one for now. Any recommendations? I do not want a fancy machine, just one that I can sew the basics with :)

Thanks for the help!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just found someone selling a relatively simple electric Singer machine on Kijiji (that's the Canadian Craigslist)... it was less than $100 and has been working great for me for 6 years now.

You can check garage sales and auctions for older treadle machines... I got one for free in the spring clean-up garbage piles... it's beautiful and just needed one belt.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go to a sewing store and buy a low-end brand new model with few features. They are machines, which break down, and a used one can have problems. You'll want to be able to take it home, take it out of the box, and play with it immediately. Leave the Craig's List models for the seasoned sewers.
Also, a sewing store can put you in touch with seamstresses and you can get a few lessons. Look for a machine that self-threads, and that will save you MUCHO headaches. I've been sewing for over 30 years, and my DD's and own:
--2 White's
--1 HD-110, Heavy Duty Singer
--1 Serger
Oh, almost forget--buy some hand-sewing needles, too, and thimbles. You'll start stabbing your fingers dealing with those needles.
My other DD works at JoAnne's stores and this is what they have for sale:
http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If you go to a sewing machine repair place- they usually have repaired/reconditioned ones for sale. I bought a great one once that somebody didn't pick up after dropping it off for repairs. Metal gears last half of forever.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would still look on Craigslist because people who repair sewing machines sell their machines on there. I bought one from a woman who buys old machines and gets them back in great working order. She guarantees her work and you can bring the machine back to her for any repairs. Got a lesson on how to use it too.

Betsy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info :) I haven't found my perfect machine yet, but will soon :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We own three, One is an older Singer,(1950's heavy duty) one is a Husqvarna "serger" and the other is a Husqvarna sewing machine that ROCKS.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a Husqvarna Rose and a Husqvarna Lena (mine), the Rose has been going since they first came out...we don't use the embroidery software but its a fantastic machine. I highly recommend Huskies and I super recommend buying new, the warranty is worth it.

We also have a serger but I can't remember the brand.. White maybe... I have no idea LOL.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
DH found one for me (this will be my second machine in this house, lol) at a sewing shop. The gentleman reconditions machines, and guarantees his work, will even show how to use it. The one DH got me is an old and very basic model...an ATLAS. Its pink, and I think its circa 1950-something. It sews the basic stitch forward and back...thats it. Nothing crazy. The best part of it? I put in a denim needle and can sew through 8 layers of blue jeans. It will also handle leather! Soooooo....for $40 I've got a great machine, thats guaranteed, with lessons should I need them! You can also check pawn shops, but eh, they usually don't have much.