sexing chicks??

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell the sex of chicks? I have heard to hold a needle and thread if it swings back and forth is male and if it circles it is a female, and I heard that females get their tail feathers before the males. Any truth to these and do you know of any other ways?

These won't be sex-link

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Is there any way to tell the sex of chicks? I have heard to hold a needle and thread if it swings back and forth is male and if it circles it is a female, and I heard that females get their tail feathers before the males. Any truth to these and do you know of any other ways?

These won't be sex-link
There is the tried and true method of vent sexing that is used by hatcheries. I am not going to try and tell anyone how to do it but basically the vent is opened hoping to see sex organs. check BYC, theremay be more there.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My Delaware chicks I can usually tell because the boys won't have tail feathers when the girls first start getting theirs, and the legs on the boys are thicker. It's pretty accurate generally speaking. I guess I get about 80% accuracy with that way of doing it. I don't know how to vent sex them, but there are videos on YouTube. I just don't want to hurt them, so won't really try it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A friend of mine said she used to work in a hatchery, and sexed chicks by looking at their wings. A female has longer primary flight feathers. (I think) She said she had to get proficient at grabbing a chick in each hand, stretching out the wing and determining the sex, throwing it in one pile if it was a male, another if it was a female. This could only be done within 24-36 hours of hatching, reportedly. I have seen this method referenced elsewhere, too. Might be something to it.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The chicks I have are a week old and 7 out of 17 are getting their tail feathers.

Funny... just after I made the post my husband came home from work. So I only told him we were going to try the sexing by the needle and thread thing and see what it said we had. According to that, we have 8 females! He held the thread and knew nothing about the tail thing! Wow, weird or accurate??

Now to look at their legs.....

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
A friend of mine said she used to work in a hatchery, and sexed chicks by looking at their wings. A female has longer primary flight feathers. (I think) She said she had to get proficient at grabbing a chick in each hand, stretching out the wing and determining the sex, throwing it in one pile if it was a male, another if it was a female. This could only be done within 24-36 hours of hatching, reportedly. I have seen this method referenced elsewhere, too. Might be something to it.
There is but only for certain breeds of chickens [not on ducks, geese and other breeds of chickens] vent sexing works on all.
I don't know if you have ever seen the TV show "Dirty Jobs" where the guy goes all over to do dirty jobs. Since there is usually a bit of poop in the vent, vent sexing qualified as a dirty job.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The ones with tails comming in all have longer wing feathers- the one that sexed female but no tail feathers yet DOES have the longer wing feathers. Hmmm. I will be keeping all of these so it might be neat to find out what I realy have.