shampoo?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My hair is strange that I seem to need to change products every once in awhile, it just perks it up.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a couple of recipes in a book (Back to Basics), but I've never tried them. Wonder if they're any good.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I have a couple of recipes in a book (Back to Basics), but I've never tried them. Wonder if they're any good.
I have that book too ;) Haven't tried those recipes yet either. Let me know how they turn out if you do!! I will post if I try them. Too many projects going right now :p

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Denim Deb said:
I have that book too ;) Haven't tried those recipes yet either. Let me know how they turn out if you do!! I will post if I try them. Too many projects going right now :p
Don't have time right now. I have too much going on too. :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Wannabefree said:
Denim Deb said:
Don't have time right now. I have too much going on too. :(
:lol: Figures huh? :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's the story of my life.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will eventually try them, lol. I've been scoping around at shampoos for awhile. I'm just not sure... I hope to use some as gifts, but with different hair types and colors, I'm not sure how much of a PITA it's going to be or if it's plausible as gift giving for x-mas, lol.
I do like the oil treatment though. I definately plan to make my sister some of that for xmas. It was a side link on one of the pages, lol.
http://www.craftbits.com/project/coconut-hot-oil-treatment
I figure I can take the herbs that are listed for the shampoo and maybe infuse the oil with these herbs, then bottle that, instead of straight coconut oil or mixed oils.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been using my homemade shampoo for a week now. I also happened to need to wash my hair daily this past week (usually I wash it every other day). While I don't like the way my hair feels when wet. It comes out great when dry and even styled. I still can't believe how much fluffier my hair is instead of basically sticking to the top of my head from the other shampoos. Below is the recipe that I used but I want to get some of the herbs and make the shampoo for oily hair on the other website at some point. But for now, this is working for me. I have the Dr Bonner's Castille soap with peppermint in it already so I didn't add anymore.

STIMULATE
To wake up your scalp and your senses, try tea tree and peppermint oil!
This one's my personal favorite, and the one I use daily. It's so refreshing!

Combine
1/4 cup distilled water
1/4 cup liquid Castile Soap - I use unscented, but you can choose your favorite
2 tsp jojoba oil
1/8 tsp peppermint ess oil
1/8 tsp tea tree ess. oil

Mix all ingredients, then add 1/4 cup distilled water
Store in a bottle. Use as you would any shampoo, rinse well.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a friend who needs to convert to an organic shampoo and conditioner. She just found out that she is allergic to formaldehyde and many other chemicals that find their way into our bathing products.

She bought Tom's organic mint shampoo as her first try. Does not like!

The mint scent was overwhelming in her opinion and it did not lather.

I have not purchased organic shampoo before, I either used regular Suave or made my own. SOOO... I figured I would ask my pals.

Which is your favorite commercially available organic shampoo and conditioner and WHY?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi FF.

I have a bottle of Avalon Organic's Tea Tree shampoo - something like 70% organic and free of synthetic fragrances, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates. Formaldehyde is NOT listed in the ingredients, so that might be an option for her.

I've only used it one, it left my hair a little fluffier than usual but otherwise it didn't seen much different from my ACV and BS rinses. However there are plenty other ingredients listed that I personally find questionable, so I won't be using it..

Anyone want my bottle? :p