Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
One of my friends posted this awesome wine bottle tiki torch how-to on her FB, and I snatched it up! It helps that we like to drink wine :p
Instead of doing the wall hanger, I have also found a toilet flange (I think that is what it is) and I plan to use silicone and cover the base with natural stones, and then the wine bottle sits in it nicely so it won't tip over. I didn't like the fact that someone had to screw the torch into the wall to use it, I wanted it to sit on my table anyway!
Since the silly thing is not letting me post the link cause I'm a new member you can find it by searching google for Wine Bottle Tiki Torch, and the link is one of the first ones, the photos show a beautiful blue wine bottle.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I really wanted to get around and have the boys make ornaments each and every year. Those little cinnamon thingers. Then just put the year on them every year. I know that'd be an awesome collection for the grandparents. :)

Jar mixes - Cookies, brownies, hot chocolate, soups, etc.
Bath/Body products - Scrubs, bath powders, bath salts, soaps, etc
Premade foods - cookies, canned soups? Those mini loaves are pretty neat and inexpensive
Sewing projects - blankets, quilts, umm, I dunno what else

Or better yet, gift baskets, with all kinds of goodies in them. :D They're like grab bags, but with a bit more subsity than the ones you get from the dollar store, lol.
That was last year's list of ideas. This year, it's a little different for me...

Soy Candles
Soaps
Bath Bombs
Lotions
All of those will be in the same scents.

I'm also thinking of other stuff to make, like possibly the hot chocolate again. :)

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are doing a homemade Christmas this year so Christmas gifts will include, but not limited to: Cranberry Apple Jam, Homemade bread, Homemade Crackers, Cowboy Candy, cookies, candies, and orange extract (homemade)

I decorated some of my jams the other day:

375648_294000693964495_288816844482880_1022782_1800877850_n.jpg

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great thread and im glad it got revived...

this year im struggling for dad and my brother...

mums getting a box of her favorite chocolates and right now my sisters going to talk to her friend...see mums wanted a picture of all 4 of their dogs together, but getting a photo of all of them is impossible lol.
so my sister has a friend, tattoo artist, who does alot of portrait work, mum liked her work, and me and my sis thought it would be a great idea to commission a peice form my sisters friend of all 4 dogs sat nicely, she can do it from individual photos!
so itll depend on how much she wants but the plan right now is were going to go halfsies. (my sisters also is planning to take her for a mani pedi lol)

my sister im making myself, shes big into octopus, and wants to start learning to spin wool...so im hoping to find a realy nice bowl, and then MAKE a little octopus that will sit on the side of the bowl, his tenticles being hooked so you can put the line of yarn into the tenticle (up to 3 im thinking) and itll keep them nice and neat and tidy.
im also planning on making her a drop spindle and trying to get my hands on some nice roving (preferably blue) so itll be a nice little starter kit.

my brother...ugh, hes a pain in the tuckus, all he realy does is play video gams and i dont like supporting the habit, but hes impossible to buy for outside of his gift list, hes one of those who, while he doesnt mean to be (hes got a learning disability), hes very unapreciative when he didnt get somehting he asked for...(ie hes not the kind of person you buy clothes for lol)

dad...well hes a pain in the tuckus...he knows i cant afford much but he also knows everything he wants is expensive...theres some "fun" stuff he would like thats not for his bike ect...but there not cheap either.
hes always wanted a fiddle...a steal guitar...a long neck banjo, or a bow...he doesnt hunt but he likes stuff like that...but there still all so expensive though...
i just dont know what to do for him, hes one of those...sees something he wants and buys it for himself kinda guys...

gah!
guys are so difficult to shop/make for!

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pinkfox- OMG, the octopus yarn bowl sounds like a dream come true! You *have* to post pics if you make it!!

I love this thread, so creative!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So I finished my brother's art piece quilt yesterday....it just needs to be washed cause I pricked my finger when I was pinning it and got a little blood on it. I also have to do the signature patch on the back but here it is! It is the front of his house done to scale. It is white with blue for the windows and all the details of the siding have been quilted.

Here is the picture of the actual house
460_100_7403.jpg

Here is the finished quilt
460_100_7405.jpg

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow!! This is an AWESOME thread!! I'm so glad it got revived as well. I'm going to tag it.

It wasn't for a Christmas present... but for Mother Day I made my mom a "family tree" except i used wire and then used a little birthstone bead for each of us kids. It turned out pretty nice and I put it on a white background in a black frame and she put it on her dresser in her bedroom. :)
Last year I crocheted blankets for my kids as one of their presents. They both still use them almost every night as well! This year we didn't get much in the handmade dept, but I think I'm going to make my mom and stepdad some scented bath salts, and one of my candles from my mostly defunct candle company. :-/

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My oldest 2 girls are 18 and 19. I went to dollar tree and got 2 index card boxes and 2 packs of index cards. And hand wrote all their favorite dishes, along with stuff like homemade laundry soap and fabric softener, and tips for saving money here and there. Went threw all the cards and have to go get more!

My moms gift every year to my sister and I are cookbooks- ones she finds at yard sales and flea markets. She also gives all the female grandchildren cookbooks also. And she never gives over $1.00 each for each of us!