Share your ideas for Holiday Gifts!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yep, it is that time of year again when we all need to start thinking about holiday gift ideas! :woot

I would like to try my hand at soapmaking.
Also going to do some sugar scrubs, homemade baileys & captain morgans, and some homemade vanilla extract.

I need to come up with something for kids gifts too.....

What are you planning?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Tied off fleece blankets.
My kids want a Snuggie.
My 8 yo DS was with me the last time I was looking at patterns at J's and he say the pattern for a fleece Poncho that turns into a book bag and then can be used as a seat cushion.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am making fleece neck warmers as scarves can just get in the way and get caught on things--now I did find a pattern for mittens so if I get stuff done I can make them to go with the neck warmers.
I also have patterns for making fleece Sherpa type hats.
My mom and I have decided to keep the two grand daughters busy with making chocolate dipped pretzel rods and then roll them in crushed candy bars and mini M & Ms that kind of thing so they can give them as gifts... Her grand daughter is 7(my niece lol) and my grand daughter is 2 should be a grand, if a bit messy, time!

I also picked up a children's fleece pattern for hooded ponchos so hopefully I can get one made for the niece and the grandbaby!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love that you are planning for the kids to make gifts - I started that with my daughter when she was two (first gift she made? cotton balls rolled in kitchen spices, tied in a calico square with yarn - supposed to be kitchen drawer sachets :rolleyes:)

she progressed over the years to xmas ornaments, chimes, fudge, etc - and she is 28 and to this day makes gift baskets for all her cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.

What i liked about it was that she pretty quickly got as excited or more excited about giving than getting - something her cousins never got. As a matter of fact, she gives them presents, but they don't in return. Everyone just expects (and drools over) Amy's presents.

She is already talking to me about what she's made this year for xmas: crocheted scarves, hats, scrubbies (yup, she got into crochet in a BIG way).

Last year a popular thing we made was hot chocolate mix for everyone (big big jars for families, canning jars for the college kids and uncles on their own) - we used a recipe that had dried milk, not that fake creamer, and some spices like cardomom, etc. We've already had requests for that again, and heard the mix went pretty fast.

so: hot chocolate mix, wild blackberry jam, hot pepper apple jelly, and xmas cookies are on our list this year. I might try the homemade vanilla that Dace talks about, too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Knotted fleece blankets for nephews and nieces in dh family.

I am crocheting cotton wash clothes. I think some of these will go to my Mom.

Working on some beanies as gifts as well.

I am usually the fudge maker in my family.

Not sure what else.

gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since most of my family are avid corn hole players...I was thinking I would try to make some personalized corn toss bags. I made several "jar gifts" last year....brownies, bean soup etc. I have 3 books with ideas for them. I might do a few of those this year as well. The went over pretty well, in theme type baskets. Well, for some of the family. My sisters will get gift cards, booze or money. They are snobs, and never like what I make them, and are not afraid to point it out. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am lucky
all adults do not give gifts we leave the presents to the kids lol

so I only have Nicole

I don't make gifts for her, I buy the items she drools over at Toys R US

Nicole and I do make some ornament and other crafts during the holidays but the presents come from the store lol

actually since the adults don't trade the holiday life has been sooooo easy! :)

will be fun to read the ideas thrown out tho ya never know what I might see and make

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
two years ago I made wind chimes for everyone. They had hand turned spalted maple tops and brass chime tubes. Last year I made oak and cedar plaques and DW woodburned family names on them. This year I am going to make some turned bowls and some hand-carved bowls and DW is going to try her hand at Rosemaling on them. She is also going to do some paintings on some old hand saws I have.

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
woodwzrd, I just saw a really beautiful painting on a saw blade for those long two person saws? It had a verse on it, and it hung over the double doors to the house.

sounds like you and your wife are talented and skilled! lol, that's why I have to stick with jams and such!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:clap
Great ideas so far!!

Lala....I love that your DD learned the joy of giving! We have always given our 4 each a small amount of money to shop for Christmas. They have to spend it all on each other and us. They really enjoy shoping for a something that has meaning even though they are working with a ridicuously small amount of money, the point is not how much you have but that you really take the time to find something of meaning for the others. Now I wish I would have started them on homemade gifts....I think I am goin to do that with my 19, 17 & 8 yr old DDs this year, they love making things!

Latest posts