SHEEP COATS

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey! That's a good idea! I had no idea sheep had that sort of problem.
We had to make a fleece coat for Micket one winter after he was ill and lost a lot of fur. The coat kept him nice and smug though!

Hey I have a question.. What are those large white woolly sheep with the black legs and black faces?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hey, I look forward to hearing how it works for you!! I was going to do that for mine for the winter, but they've already got so much cr*p in their fleece from being turned into weedy pasture the past few months I am not sure there is much point now, til next year :p I really want to hear your experiences with this pattern in particular!

BB, there are several breeds like that but what you are probably thinking of is Suffolks which are one of the commonest meat breeds, and are indeed large and white-with-black-faces.

Pat

Sundancers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I guess my two Icelandic sheep didn't get that note ...;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Do you have issues with rain and your Icelandics? This is my first rainy season with my ram and I was told he needed to be protected from the rain and the cold (mixed together). It gets really wet here in the winters and they are predicting a very cold winter too.

(My other ewe sheep are of a different breed and faired very well during the last few rainy seasons.)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
No, I don't think Suffolks were what I was thinking of. Who knows!

I agree.. We'll be needing pictures when it's done! Did he grow out of the silky sleek fleece on his sides? Or do they keep that? (I'm clueless)

Had to edit.. forgot a word

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi BB!

I need to get a photo of him. He is one big ball of wool these days. I even shaved him this summer. I think his wool/fleece is about 4 inches long already...it falls in beautiful loose ringlets all over...literally parting right down the middle.

Dolly's wool/fleece is thick and tight, rain just rolls right off of her.

Sundancers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MY sheep Jacob and my two Icelandics have a barn but most days will not use it....That is a fact ...

Rain, snow or sun ... they know best.:D ...

I give my critters a barn but it is up them if they use it. ...Just the way I see it.

It is IMO ... that we tell the critters what they need and mother nature tells them what they need.... and they must pick and chose what they know is best...

This is OMO ...;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yes, mine have a run-in barn and rarely use it too. Thanks for the heads up, now I don't have to rush into making that coat. I looked around today for the fabric too, I thought I was going to have to order it.