Sheep droppings question

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My St. Croix ewe is 4 months pregnant and today I noticed her stools have changed from normal to soft almost impacted looking (smaller than a dog stool with a resemblance of pebbles) I am really concerned for her, as we have never had sheep before. I need advice on whether I should call the vet or try some home remedies first. She is behaving normally, I will check her further tomorrow in the daylight. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have some Nutridrench (not sure if you can use on pregnant sheep, will have to check) on hand as well as some electrolytes. Right now she is eating just alfalfa for hay, free choice sheep minerals, and a handful of corn for a treat because we are trying to tame her before her lambs arrive. Thanks in advance.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When my goats get "dog poo" I give them probiotics and it clears right up. I give them sauerkraut, usually, or anything else I have that is fermented, or some kefir whey in their food. Works like a charm!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks I believe I have some of that too, I just placed an order from Premier and tried to get all the essentials. The only sauerkraut I have it in a can, would that work?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, if it is canned, it is pasteurized and the probiotics are dead. I was thinking homemade, but I can't keep track of who ferments and who doesn't here, sorry!

You can use the whey from Stoneyfield Organic yogurt for some live culture probio's, simply dump a quart of plain in a cloth-lined colender (I never remember how to spell that!) over a bowl to catch the drips. I use a piece of t-shirt material, it works great. Leave it at room temp for a few hours, the warmer it is, the faster the whey comes out. I fold the corners of the material over the yogurt just to keep the ever-present floating cathairs out of it. :rolleyes:

You can mix the first couple tablespoons of whey into something she will eat readily, but I avoid grain and anything my girls aren't used to when I see dog poo.

The yogurt will continue to drain, save the whey in a glass jar in the fridge or freeze it in an ice cube tray for future use, the probiotics should be good for 3-4 months in the freezer. That is how long cheese cultures remain viable this way, so I figure yogurt cultures are the same. You can tie the material corners over a fork or knife and hang it in a pitcher and put it in the fridge overnight, and it will continue to drip whey. You will get quite a bit, and a lovely thick yogurt cheese that can be eaten with fruit or herbed and used for a dip.....super yummy!

I would give her probios every few hours until she is back to pooping pellets.

I give my girls a shot of probios regularly "just because" in the form of homemade sauerkraut, the older the better, and I soak their whole barley in water and whey so they get some probios with every meal. I do tend to be a little obsessive this way, but it works. I can feed whatever free stuff I can get my hands on....pumpkins, squash, old carrots, pine trees, etc with no disruption of their digestion. I give some to all my critters regularly to keep everyone super healthy. I give kefir to the house pets and the chickens regularly, as I often have an excess because it needs to be refreshed every day.

Hope this helps. You can purchase probios that work just fine, but since animal products are not as regulated as human products and there have been so many contamination problems, I prefer to make my own.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, I gave her a dose of probios (that's all I had) and we shall see.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I found a new use for my kefir once it is ready :D

Some reasons a sheep or goat might get 'soft stool' is either because they are in heat, rut, stressed, due to give birth soon, or are sick.

If the probios 'stiffen' it up and she is acting normal, and the canthus/muscle/inside of her eyelids are nice and pinkish red, I'd say she'll be fine. But that's my unprofessional opinion. take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.sbacres.com/famacha.jpg

Nutri-drench is safe for pregnant animals. A maximum of 1OZ per 100 pounds in 8 hours, but no more. Your bottle should say for sure.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I went to check on her just now she is pooping regular again and she has started to bag up so maybe she is getting close to lambing. I may be off on my count as to when I thought she should deliver :hu I am a nervous wreck about the whole lambing process. Reading on the subject is not helping, my husband thinks all will be fine but after losing the lamb earlier this year to coyotes I am feeling like a sheep failure :he