Sheep, lambs and milking ewes.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
So I finally get a minute or two to breathe, and thought i would update you all on what is going around here. it's been busy.

I know I promised pics, but they haven't come off the camera yet, and i don't know how to get them off, and frankly I don't have enough time to figure it out, so I'll ask hubby to get them off when he comes home.

On to the milking. let's just say that the first time we all went out there, and I started milking, hubby started laughing uncontrollably, b/c I got the rhythm so quickly. So all of you out there, it can be done. I was surprised at myself how quickly I could do it. However, getting that ewe on the milking stand is another issue. she is so darn skittish, it takes two of us to get her up and in the head lock (or whatever you want to call it.) and, I had mentioned hobbles to hubby many times, and b/c he didn't understand how they could actually help, he refused to order one. ( I don't internet shop) He said, I'll just hold her legs. Hmmpf. so on about day three, all was going well, and I had about 2 cups in the pail, she kicked. It went everywhere and then she put her foot in the bucket. :he

After all was said and done, I pulled up an article on hobbles and gave the laptop to hubby so he could read it. He will be ordering a hobble, although he doesn't fully agree that it will do any good.

Well, this morning, dd and I go out to milk again, this time with dd holding onto the Duchess' legs, and sure enough, she kicked the bucket again. There was about three cups in the bucket and about two cups of it landed on my dd.
At this point, all I could do was laugh. She wasn't sure whethr she should laugh cry or get angry. :gig I'm getting those hobbles express post delivered.

So, news on the other ewe, Dolly. Well, it was probably my fault for increasing her grain too quickly, but she scoured. so we had that to contend with for a few days. she's fine now. One of lambs is officially a bottle baby. the poor thing almost died twice of hypothermia. Even under the heat lamp, she was cold so she stayed a few days in the house until she got her strength back. She is now back outside with momma and sisters, but still a bottle baby. We have to go out often to give her a bottle. It's not so bad. But when she was in the house, at one point, she started flopping around like she was having a stroke. Turns out that she was selenium deficient. My feed store guy gave me a syringe and some selenium--enough for all the lambs. He said, even though the others were not showing signs of it, if this little lamb was, it was safest to give them all a shot. So all are fine now. and here I thought selenium was not good for sheep, but apparently they need some. It is called white muscle disease.

We have ordered portable fencing for the sheep, it should be in by the end of the week, so we will be able to rotate them all over the yard. We are also fencing in the side yard as a semi-permanent pasture for them.
We are not going full tilt on fencing, as we are considering moving. Our house isn't even close to being listed and we have had a guy call about it. turns out hubby mentioned it to a father of one of the boys on ds's basketball team, and that guy said he knew someone who was looking for a house just like ours, with a huge shop. We are making an appt to see a farm next week. If things turn out, we might be moving to a real farm. I'm so excited. So that being said, any changes we do to the property now will be easily removable.

Oh, and I shold also comment to you about the taste of sheep's milk. I have NEVER been a fan of milk. I used to use cream in my coffee, but all my other dairy has been yogurt, kefir, and cheese. this milk is AMAZING!!!!! That's about all I can say. So you guys who have sheep and want to milk them--it is not difficult and the milk is sooo worth it. The only downside is you might only get about a quart a day. but that seems to be enough for us right now, although I haven't made kefir out of it yet.

now, I must go on to my regularly scheduled day of baking bread, making granola cereal for the kids, cookies, and about 4 loads of laundry. Interspersed with giving the little lamb(who I call Kitten, b/c she used to sound like one when she was in the house) bottles. And then get super ready. and then milk the ewe. And then do chores. And then... And then.... :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
GREAT update! thanks...and based on our kicky goatie.... hobbles are fabulous!!!

:)

ps good luck with the house thing - isnt it great when things workout! and if you use an atty instead of agents.. well that just money in the bank!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I agree, good luck with the farm!

Miss, I havn't sent your kefir grain yet. Sorry! I have been scatter brained lately. I will give you a head's up as soon as I do.

I am going to be reading EVERYTHING you write about your milking and lambing experiences. I too have a skittish sheep that I want to breed.

Take care!
-Sally

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great post and very encouraging! I can't wait to milk the Bettys for colostrum to freeze....ought to be an interesting rodeo! :rolleyes:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Great post and very encouraging! I can't wait to milk the Bettys for colostrum to freeze....ought to be an interesting rodeo! :rolleyes:
When the ewes had just lambed, they seemed a bit more docile--they didnt go too far from the lambs, hence making the milking of colostrum much easier than what i am actually experiencing milking the ewe by herself.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can make cheese from any amount of milk. I don't think I'd bother with less than a gallon, though. The thing is, it is the same amount of time and work whether you are using a half gallon or a hundred gallons. So I try to always work with my five gallon pot and make a 4 or 4.5 gallon batch.

Start with a gallon so you don't waste it while you learn. You can also use commercial cow's milk to bring the amount up if you want (blasphemy!!!! :D )

The books say to use only the freshest milk, but I mix milk up to two weeks old to get a big batch going, just giving it the sniff test. But of course, I have a lot of weird cheese that is not what it is supposed to be! I love cheese, so I am happy to eat chunks of "failed mozzarella" that just won't stretch, or grainy cheddar that won't melt nicely grated over popcorn or pasta or veggies.

My European cheese-connoisseur client recently showed me a package of VERY expensive cheese from France made with the milk of sheep, goat, and cow all mixed together. She said it was wonderful.

Yaklady

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, Gordita had her baby two days ago....a little girl, and I named her Charlie (her markings reminded me of Charlie Chaplin). I read this post, and it raised my curiosity about sheep's milk. When I stripped her teats, Gordita stood quite still so I felt encouraged.

Yesterday, when I went to check on mom and baby, Gordita once again let me mess around with her udder. This morning, she stood for me again. I think I'm going to rig up some sort of milking stand and give it a shot. It seems as if it would take FOREVER to get any amount of milk, though. I'm determined to try, because I'm a huge fan of using what I've got for free rather than having to buy it. If I can keep from having to buy milk, that would be great. I'm also a huge fan of whole, raw foods, including raw dairy. I hate buying that watered down crap that we get from the store. The idea of having a readily available source of raw dairy is just too tempting to pass up.

I'm preparing to laugh at myself, and to share my stories so that you all may laugh at me, too. :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Good luck! We are getting enough milk for us to drink ad use daily.--no cheese or yogurt making though. It's really good!! And the milking is not difficult, although I have never milked another creature before in my life, I picked this up in about two minutes.