Sheep vs. Goats...?

Gardentree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy Sufficient Self world! I'm surprised there's not a section dedicated for animals, so I guess this will go in the "Everything Else" section.

The fiancee and I recently moved to our farm and although we're vegetarians we do enjoy cheeses from both goats and sheep, as well as the soaps. We are looking to add some farm animals and are trying to decide which route we should go: Sheep or Goats?

I'd be curious to hear from folks out there who have a preference for either, especially if you've raised both.

At this point, although we were leaning towards goats, we're headed towards the sheep route. Oddly enough, there seem to be a ton of goats for sale locally (on CraigsList) but little to no sheep. That may be an indicator of popularity right there, but I wonder why that is? The way we see it you get the added benefit of the wool from the sheep, and although they may not clear a pasture of brambles, as long as the grass is somewhat tender they will still "go to town". Also, is it true you have to milk sheep less often? What about number of sheep? I heard that goats like at least one partner, but what about sheep? I hear about them referenced in "flocks"; can you raise just a pair? Will they be happy?

Love to hear from you guys!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Gardentree said:
Howdy Sufficient Self world! I'm surprised there's not a section dedicated for animals, so I guess this will go in the "Everything Else" section.

The fiancee and I recently moved to our farm and although we're vegetarians we do enjoy cheeses from both goats and sheep, as well as the soaps. We are looking to add some farm animals and are trying to decide which route we should go: Sheep or Goats?

I'd be curious to hear from folks out there who have a preference for either, especially if you've raised both.

At this point, although we were leaning towards goats, we're headed towards the sheep route. Oddly enough, there seem to be a ton of goats for sale locally (on CraigsList) but little to no sheep. That may be an indicator of popularity right there, but I wonder why that is? The way we see it you get the added benefit of the wool from the sheep, and although they may not clear a pasture of brambles, as long as the grass is somewhat tender they will still "go to town". Also, is it true you have to milk sheep less often? What about number of sheep? I heard that goats like at least one partner, but what about sheep? I hear about them referenced in "flocks"; can you raise just a pair? Will they be happy?

Love to hear from you guys!
You might try the sister site BackYardHerds.com there is a link at the bottom of th page. Many of us are there.

:welcome

ETA We don't have either sheep or goats at the moment. I think it really depends on what you want out of the animals. My grandmother had both and I don't remember any difference in the milking routine.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The reason there's no section here devoted to animals is that there are two whole sister SITES devoted to animals (BYC and BYH) :p

I went with sheep primarily because they're a bit easier to fence in (although have the same requirements for SERIOUSLY fencing predators OUT) and because I think goat kids are just the cutest thing in the world and tho I do eat goat on occasion would find it much less traumatic to send lambs to the packers if no pet homes could be found than to send *kids* to the packers. (Remember you do have to breed the females to get milk out of 'em, so you need plans for what to do with the offspring)

With sheep, the wool is potentially a plus but OTOH having to shear it OFFA them is potentially a minus :p They are a bit better lawnmowers than goats, but a bit poorer brush-clearers. A bit, anyhow.

The big knock against sheep as a milk animal is you get WAY LESS milk out of a ewe than out of a doe, especially if you get normal(ish) sheep rather than Friesians or British Milksheep. You get less per day AND a significantly shorter lactation. The latter was another reason I went with sheep -- wasn't sure I *wanted* an animal that'd lactate for 3/4 of a year or more -- but for a lot of people would be a drawback.

It is not true that you have to milk sheep less often than goats.

There are certainly people who keep only 2-3 sheep, but I gotta tell you my original two started behaving MUCH differently when (a few weeks later) I picked up the other two-plus-a-lamb. And studies have found that five is about the smallest number for them to exhibit flocking type behavior. So I guess it depends on how you feel about how far you want to push them away from their natural circumstances.

One thing to think about also, re: sheep vs goats, is how you feel about horns. If you are ok with horns then it doesn't matter, but if you really want hornless then with sheep you can pick naturally-polled breeds/individuals (of which there are many), whereas with goats you pretty much have to do the disbudding-of-kids thing which can be rather unpleasant and screamy and sometimes goes badly. (The polling gene in goats, unlike in sheep, is associated with fertility problems, so there are not lots of polled goat breeds to choose from)

(e.t.a. -- oh, and one other thing to consider and locally-research: with goats it is really quite common to do driveway breedings or AI or other sorts of stud service. Whereas with sheep, AI is a whole nother level of complexity not available to most backyarders, and in most areas it is hard or impossible to find someone willing to lend you their ram or let you bring your ewe to be bred. Hence I ended up buying a ram, and also a wether to keep him company; whereas if mine were goats I would not have any particular need to have a male on the property which would certainly be simpler and cheaper)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If you have lots of grass, get sheep, but if you have lots of brush, and do not mind them making firewood for you, then get goats.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm...what if you have some of both?? Grass & brush, I mean. We are considering one or the other, too, and DH is more in favor of goats, while I'm more in favor of sheep. He keeps thinking that we could have goat meat, but goats seem awfully smart, and I think I might have a hard time sending one off to the butcher. Plus, we've never actually had goat before, so I think he's being a bit presumptuous. :p I am looking for something more for the purpose of keeping the grass down. Interesting discussion!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me personally i want both lol, but if your hoping for more "self sufficiency" go with whatever will best suit your land...open pasture...go with sheep...pasture with brush...get goats.

sheep=lawnmowers
goats=brush hogs

also take into account what your planning to "use" them for.
if your planning on mostly using the milk for various reasons youll get alot more milk form most dairy goat breeds than you will from dairy sheep (gurnseys, fresians ect are wonderufll milkers but hard to find).

in terms of frequency, its about the same, if you only want to milk once a day just take the kid/lamb off over night, milk in the morning and then let the baby "graze" all day...
a sheep has a shorter lactation period (even in the dary breeds) so youll get a longer milking period with a good goat.

sheep however do have the added bennies of wool, BUT youve got the problem of sheering, something your willing to learn or pay someone to come in?
if your going to use the wool yourself shep are probably worth it...
but wool wonts support an income to keep such a small flock...

i too have been told 5 min for sheep, whereas goats can be quite content in pairs...

my personal plan is some dairy goats for milk (nubians and lamancha)
and a small flock of shetlands or babydoll southdowns as lawnmowers and wool for my own personal use. (ill probably go with shetlands)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Hmm...what if you have some of both?? Grass & brush, I mean. We are considering one or the other, too, and DH is more in favor of goats, while I'm more in favor of sheep. He keeps thinking that we could have goat meat, but goats seem awfully smart, and I think I might have a hard time sending one off to the butcher. Plus, we've never actually had goat before, so I think he's being a bit presumptuous. :p I am looking for something more for the purpose of keeping the grass down. Interesting discussion!
Once you have them, there will be one you wouldn't mind so much sending to the butcher :lol: They can be a real pain at times. I have threatened to eat mine lately, and may just yet. I have never had goat before either, but they are tempting me ;)

OP, it depends a lot on your land. You can have a mixed flock of both, but you have to watch that the goat gets enough copper and the sheep do not. I like my goats(most of the time), and they keep the brush down pretty good. I will, once the land is clear swap out for some sheep though. You could do the same. Get a small goat herd to clean up the brambles and bring sheep in behind them when you sell out of goats. Mine are fence jumpers, so that is one thing you have to watch for with goats. I have no experience with sheep yet, so can't really say one way or the other on those. I hope that helps a little. :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Lots of great advice and info in this thread! I have both sheep and goats, and I much prefer my sheep. :p Most people tend to sway one way or the other, and I'm definitely a sheep person. I like my goats too, but they're more like small children.....sometimes very annoying and get in the way and make things way more difficult than they need to be. Sheep are more "go with the flow" most of the time. The sheep dont' challenge the fence, the goats will. Sheep don't jump on me or pester me, goats do.

If you're mainly looking to make cheese, I'd have to say definitely go with goats. Sheep are harder to milk and you get less of it. And I'd get 2 females, not a male and a female. Getting only a male and female makes management harder, whereas if you had 2 ewes or does you could "borrow" a stud from someone.