Shelf Life Of Oxygen Absorbers

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
What would be the shelf life of an unopened, sealed in original packaging, pack of oxygen absorbers(OA)..?
Say you took your new unopened pack of OA and sealed them in a mylar bag, with a OA and stored in a cool, dry, dark place.Do they only have a certain lifespan, or can they be stored long term...? thanks..

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My understanding is until they are exposed to oxygen they would be fine stored long term (cool dark area, extra wrapped). After I open a bag of them I immediately put them in a canning jar, packed solid (as little air as possible) and wait to hear the can ping and seal like you are canning. I have successfully used them 6 months later maybe even longer. The ones I have you know when they are spent when the center turns orange I believe. I have several gallon mason jars with food that has been in their 2 years and they are still tight and fresh.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
After we opened up our package and used a few, we put the remainder in a vacuum seal bag and resealed them. They are about a year old now and still good to go.