Shelters!!!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are many shelters available for purchase throughout the US. I occasionally get all fired up about when the SHTF, so I thought I'd share some of my findings here, away from role-playing chicken-children...

My favorite site to drool over is Radius Engineering... they have AWESOME, shelters, and I want, want, want one.. if any of y'all have one, I'd love to see a picture of your floorplan...
http://www.bomb-shelter.net/ec32-10 Gandar.jpg

Utah Shelters
Good, simple, inexpensive (sort of... :/ )
bunks along the sides, kind of what I imagined when thinking about shelters before I saw the Radius Engineering site...
http://utahsheltersystems.com/shelters.php

NORTHWEST SHELTER SYSTEMS

they will build you honey comb structures, gunsafes, panic rooms, and can even create a shelter inside a rock mountain. check it out!
http://www.northwestsheltersystems.com/

what do you think?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back in the 60's my dad built a fall out shelter in our back yard in a small town in upstate NY. I was between 7 and 9. It was underground built to government specs.... all this had to do with the Cuban missle crisis.

It had all the bells and whisteles and was very scary for me.... thinking of leaving my neighborhood friends outside to die, shooting people who might try to break in, draging my risistant grandmother by her hair down the stairs if she refused to come.. my dads idea, not mine..

Guess this all has to do with my survival instincts being honed and being on this forum in the first place.

I would not want a shelter like seen on these links... If I cant survive above ground, working cooperatively with neighbors, then the hell with it. Just shoot me.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickensducks&agoose said:
Ooooh! The Ark 2, up in Canada is an array of school busses, encased in concrete, deep underground.
http://www.radmeters4u.com/arktwo/photoconstruct/photocon.htm
Wow that is a smart way to recycle. Wish they could show more and better pictures. And more details on how they braced the insides of the buses. And how much/thick the cement has to be on top and on the sides.

This would be a cool root cellar too. Hmmm. Ideas....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
As cool as those are I am with Mackay. Just shoot me. The struggle is tough enough now. I am to old to fight the battle of that kind of survival.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my father called, and I told him to check out those websites.. he said if you've got a defensible location, some gas in cans, a chainsaw, and access to good water, you're fine. He also expressed his doubt that we'd need to go underground, but agreed that at some point we might have to be completely self sufficient.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
:pop

Here's some interesting stuff about historical shelters. During the cold war the government installed a top secret bunker for the Senate and House in case of an attack by the U.S.S.R. Look up Greenbrier WV Resort Bunker. Lots of links and history. Cool!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
As cool as those are I am with Mackay. Just shoot me. The struggle is tough enough now. I am to old to fight the battle of that kind of survival.
I'm starting to think that way, too...altho I would LOVE to have an underground shelter, my finances would never allow it. When I read about some of the TEOTWAWKI scenarios (defending your family from violent roving gangs, etc.), I would be toast. My husband said it the other day, "just shoot me." Who'd want to survive in a world like that anyway?? I can put up tomatoes & raise chickens til the end of time, but when TSHTF, and some wacko really wants your stuff.....:/