Shingles treatment?? had it 3 times 5 yrs ago, <6 mo and now I am 41

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
:hit :hit I am going nuts :barnie and there has to be something to help prevent future outbreaks. :he
I read about using L-lysine.
Any one??? Anything???

:th

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few years ago, I woke up with a "odd" patch on my waist. For some reason, I knew it was shingles! I got on the web and read all I could. Then I took some action... I got rid of the patch in just a few days, and it has never returned.

Here is what I did.. don't know if it will work for you.

Lysine, 4 or 5 grams three times a day. Until the symtoms are gone.

I then made a sort of "poultice/cream" to put on the area.

It was made from crushed Lysine tablets, Vit. C powder,
added to Desitin Baby Ointment, (which has Zinc, Vit. A & D.

And I put that cream on it until it went away, which was three or four days.

So... you might try something like that and see if it works.

Then look up foods high in Lysine and stay away from foods that are high in Arginine.

Here is a list of foods and how they stack up on those two amino acids.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorials/l-lysine_rich_foods.html

Shingles comes from one of the Herpes viruses as is Chicken Pox, and Cold Sores of the mouth.
If you had Chicken Pox as a kid, or get cold sores around your mouth, you carry the Herpes virus.
Poor nutrition and stress can also cause this virus to manifest by way of sores on the skin.

Hope this helps you.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apple cider vinegar on a cloth, applied to affected area helps take the pain out.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
it isnt the rash that i have issue with it is the pain. If it were only the itch and pain of the rash I would be exstatic lol. I just HAVE to figure out a way to keep this at bay or I am going to end up loosing my job. Not to mention my mind!!!! :barnie

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know; I had it about 30 years ago, then a small flare about 3 years ago. The pain is deep in your body, not on the surface where the rash is. Really, try the apple cider vinegar. I think I remember that it helped with that pain, too.

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There is a homeopathic remedy that helps some people thats called Mezereum.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't had shingles, but I frequently get cold sores, which is from the same virus. I apply Benadryl cream 2%. It eliminated the itch. I figured if it could dry up the oozing and weeping of poison ivy, it could work on that too. It helps a LOT. And they don't get as red and angry with the Benadryl. I also take a fever reducer like Tylenol when I have cold sores. For some reason, that helps too.

My doctor prescribe denovir for my cold sores. It's an antiviral cream. That didn't work for me any better than abreva did. I never refilled that script.

I also take l-lysine when I get them. I just follow the directions on the bottle, and use the higher dose bottle. Good luck. Maybe these treatments will work for shingles too?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I don't have a remedy but....I had shingles a few years ago. Still have the occasional postherpetic neuralgia. Or at least thats what I think it is since it occurs along the same path of the previous break out. At any rate, the very second I fill that tingle or have that first shooting pain I stop immediately and evaluate my life. My stress level and my diet. I find that every time it happens something major is going on. I am either very stressed or have not been eating properly, or a combination of the two. Slight stress and improper diet. It may be something as simple as getting that goat fence up and having to do it after work everyday until dark. Which means I am overly tired, grabbing a quick sandwich before bed and not getting enough sleep for a week or two. Then something happens at work to create a little stress. Whamo - I get that strike of pain or just a minor tingle. I call it my early warning system. I stop immediately. The goats will survive, and its just a job. The stess at work has to be evaluated to see how I can make it go away. And the fence well, it will get done but will just take a little longer.
So pay attention to your body. Eat right (see link to list of foods posted by Rebbetzin). Drink apple cider vinegar in honey and water at the very least 3 times a week, daily is better. If you get sick from a cold or flu or whatever, make sure you REST. During any illness it is also important to lay down any problems that might stress you to much. Learn to let it go.

None of this is a cure - its just my way of hopefully keeping it from happening again.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read up on it a while back when I was doing some independant studying in herbology and a close relative and also a close friend asked me to see what I could find. Basically, you should target a strong immune system to prevent future outbreaks. So I'd consider a variety of things that might help you, weather vitamins, herbs, diet therapy....IDK. Then as far as the treatment of the actual sores were concerned.....thats where I really lost whatever respect they had for me. The books (not me) suggested a counter pain. The treatment of choice was, I believe cayenne pepper. If it wasn't that, it was another hot pepper. Actually I found it to be true, even medically. I had, as a nurse, applied capsaisin (spelling) to the lesions to treat shingles. The active ingredient in that drug is the pepper herbologist use to treat that disease process.
No real surprise when we know that most medician had its infancy in herbology.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
luvinlife offthegrid said:
I haven't had shingles, but I frequently get cold sores, which is from the same virus. I apply Benadryl cream 2%. It eliminated the itch. I figured if it could dry up the oozing and weeping of poison ivy, it could work on that too. It helps a LOT. And they don't get as red and angry with the Benadryl. I also take a fever reducer like Tylenol when I have cold sores. For some reason, that helps too.

My doctor prescribe denovir for my cold sores. It's an antiviral cream. That didn't work for me any better than abreva did. I never refilled that script.

I also take l-lysine when I get them. I just follow the directions on the bottle, and use the higher dose bottle. Good luck. Maybe these treatments will work for shingles too?
Livin, the next time you feel that tingle start, take some ear wax and put it on there. Just a little dab or smear is enough. I've used this for years and it works 100% of the time...I used to have some pretty bad cold sores. Some old lady told me about it and I'm thrilled to say that I tried it and love it..couldn't go to work as a nurse with an open and weeping cold sore on my lip/face, so this has saved me some days of pay and many days of misery.