Shipping Fertile Eggs???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me the best way to wrap eggs that are going in the mail?

I was thinking tissue, the bubble wrap then into packing peanuts. Should the go back into some kind of carton as well so they don't bump???

Please let me know.

Thanks, G

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ship hatching eggs every week. There are several different ways of shipping them. First if you go to USPS.com you can get free priority boxes from them. They even bring them to your house. I also order their free priority stickers to use instead of tape on the bubble wrap on each egg.

I first take the priority box and tape the bottom with strong tape. Then, I use newspaper and cover the bottom. I take each peice of paper and ball it up. Once the bottom of the box is covered, I put in a plastic walmart bag. I wrap each egg in bubble wrap and use the priority stickers to keep the bubble wrap on. I place all the eggs into the bag. I tie the bag up very tight. Then I put more balled up paper all around the sides and up of the bag. If you print you label off, online or paypal you end up saving a little money too.

I have received eggs in egg cartons and hate it. Everytime but once I received broken eggs. Some people say it is the best way to ship them but from my experience it isn't. I think the eggs move around too much shipping them in the egg carton.

I hope this helps.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I shipped eggs a few weeks ago...it was my first time shipping and they're now hatching (Glenolam was the recipient!) so I must have done an ok job. :lol: I used a larger box than I thought I would need. I put some of those air-filled pockets on the bottom, then crunched newspaper around the spaces, then wrapped each egg with tissue paper and put a SMALL amount of tape on each egg to hold the paper in place. (I've heard if there's too much tape it can be hard to unwrap gently) Then I put all the eggs in the box and tried to put as much crunched newspaper and tissue paper as I could fit, along the sides and on top of the eggs. Then I made sure they marked the box "fragile".

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought. I picked up some bubble wrap today really cheap. I have packing peanuts, priority boxes etc...

g

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I got some from California three years ago. I'm in CT! It was early February. They were wrapped in paper towels, bubble wrap and tons of peanuts. 50% hatch rate, one of those didn't make it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use large cell bubble wrap and wrap each egg individually.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I use paper towels, the good thick ones, wrap each egg, then put them in the carton. I tape the carton closed tight, then stuff newspaper or peanuts all around the carton. I have had some breakage, but as many as I have shipped it has been minimal. Customers have told me the box looked like it had been hit by a truck usually when there is some breakage. A lot depends on what post offices are between you and the destination. Certain states I ship to I ALWAYS have problems and other states, I know there will be no issues due to the route the eggs travel. It's always a crapshoot shipping fragile items.