Shipping Rabbits / Small Animals

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience shipping (air cargo) rabbits (or small animals like rabbits)? If so, what kind of prices, container, etc. did you use?

Thanks in advance!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did have a guy fly his personal one person airplane down here to get a new zeland doe I had. And she did fine. I know you were talking about the big airlines but from southern iowa to northern iowa she did fine. He bred her 3 days later and she went on to have a good litter.

mudpuddle

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
we live in nebraska and just bought some rex bunnies from wisconsin... we organized a "Rabbit Railroad" with people on Homesteading Today forum all the way to texas :) there were about 6 people along the "railroad" and each person orderd a rabbit or 2, we orderd 2 of them and met a person in lincoln NE, and transported the bunnies to desmoins IA, for our part of the railroad... lol I had my car loaded down with 6 cages of bunnies :) each person paid in advance $25 a rabbit and 10 bucks for the cage. it was really a leap of faith for everyone, but the rabbits made it all the way to texas in a matter of 2 day!!!!!! If one person didnt show that person had to pick up the slack and drive 2 leggs. everyone got each others phone #s and it all worked out.

-love my rex's-

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
shipping a rabbit costs about the same as flying a small breed puppy.
generally $150 tfor the flight, plus an airline aproved carrier (and you can ship multiple animals in 1 carrier, i know wiht pups its up to 2 in a carrier, with rabbits and smalls it may be more) plus you have to have a vet health cert...all together it generlaly costs $200 to ship whatever number of animals allowed in a small airline aproved carrier.
sometimes its actually chepaer depending on where your going to fly with them in cabin lol.

there are ground transport options also but they cost about the same.

i was looking at buying a pair of baby english lops not too long back but air transport worked out right aroudn $200 for the pair and ground wasnt much cheaper.

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I was asking because land transportation isn't an option and receiving the rabbits is important for meat production on their end (I'd be the seller).

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if your shipping larger numbers cargo rather than pets you might be able to get it cheaper as livestock freight through a livestock transporter.

AZ Rabbits

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
if your shipping larger numbers cargo rather than pets you might be able to get it cheaper as livestock freight through a livestock transporter.
Thanks! Any suggestions on livestock transport companies to get me started on my search?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ill have alook around for you, ive never dealth with air transport for livestock cargo, but it might eb worth calling the airlines directly to see if they have any ideas...
i live continental and delta for shipping live animals, used them for a few puppies and they always come in well :)

Ive used Uship.com for ground shipping (climate controled). i know you said ground transport isnt an option, but i have friends whove used uship for all kinds of critters (especially exotics) because they need to be handled crefully and kept in a climate controled transport.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We shipped six rabbits in one plastic dog airline kennel. The shipper put a thin wooden floor between the upper and lower portions of the kennel and then bolted the kennel together. Three rabbits were on the top section and three rabbits were on the lower section. The rabbits in the lower section were a bit messy when they got here but they cleaned up nicely. It was a medium sized kennel and you'd have to check the airlines for all their restrictions. There was something about temperatures at the airports along the way. If it was too hot or too cold, they couldn't go. We also had to clear them through our state's agricultural inspection station, your state may or may not have the same restrictions, but most likely not if you are on the same continent as the shipper.