Shirt to Dress Project

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PamsPride posted a link about something similar to this. Of course I didn't follow the directions. I though it would be easier to use a pattern and wing the rest. Didn't quite work out how I planned but a great learning experience. I picked up the shirt at goodwill with size in mind. I figured if I cut well I could avoid hemming. I think next time I will buy a larger shirt than needed to allow for interfacing, and extras. It turned out way to big for my 3yo so I didn't have a model. Anyways here it is.
333_img_0393.jpg

333_img_0394.jpg

333_img_0396.jpg

333_img_0400.jpg

333_img_0401.jpg

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
That's adorable! Won't she grow into it?
Nice job!!!
:thumbsup

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. yes I'll save it for her. She tried it on and thought t was just so funny that it was to big. The things that amuse a 3 yo. :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
WOW!! Fantastic job!! :thumbsup
Now I just need to get motivated and get some made!! I have three really nice shirts sitting on my sewing table just begging me to cut them up!!! :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
That's cool, good job! :)

I've got a book from the early 40's called "The Modern Encyclopedia of Sewing", used to be my mother's, that has a whole chapter titled 'Repeat Performances' on remaking one sort of garment into another. The emphasis is on making use of garments that are worn out in their current incarnation, e.g. collars and cuffs and waistbands beyond the point of being worth repairing, not using perfectly serviceable garments, but the principle is the same.

I would expect that lots of sewing manuals from the 30s and 40s probably have that sort of stuff, if you're interested in finding more :)

Have fun, very cute dress,

Pat (really wishing we'd had a girl to sew cute dresses for... :p)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Gina, that is awesome. You have really gotten handy with the sewing machine...I am jealous!

Latest posts