Shopping for a Dehydrator

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I decided I want a dehydrator. SO I start looking and there are a gazillion kinds.

For you out there that have one....what were some of the criteria you looked for in the model you have?

Are there some to steer clear of?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
When we decided to buy one, we looked at a lot of reviews and articles. From the articles, we decided that we wanted a rear fan model for even drying, and for not having to rotate shelves. From the reviews we settled on the Excalibur. There are a lot of good dehydrators, but the Excalibur had the most consistent reviews. We decided on the 9 tray model, as opposed to the 5 tray, since it didn't take up any more counter area and had the extra capacity. The extra capacity has come in handy when we purchase 50 pound sacks of onions, potatoes, etc. We also went with the model that had the built in timer. There's a little more fan noise than I had anticipated, but we don't even notice it anymore.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got a new one, the Nesco Gardenmaster... and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My hubs ordered it through Sears. I think Nesco makes this version for the retail stores because it came with 8 trays instead of the 4 it normally comes with. It also came with 8 mesh inserts for small stuff and 8 inserts for liquid-y type stuff like fruit rollups. It's 1000 watts, has a fan, and allows you to set the temperature. So far I'm am lovin' it. Did I say that already? Oh, it also came with a book, How to Dry Foods, which is very interesting and has loads of useful info.

I had wanted the Excalibur, but after some research, we decided on this one - all the same features but less expensive. The only thing it doesn't have is a timer, but that was no biggie.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Nesco with extra trays and fruit leather trays. I would love an Excalibur, but never heard of them until I joined this forum. Mine works well, don't use it a huge amount but I'm always inspired to try new things when I read the "what are you dehyrating?" thread :)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
I have a Nesco with extra trays and fruit leather trays. I would love an Excalibur, but never heard of them until I joined this forum. Mine works well, don't use it a huge amount but I'm always inspired to try new things when I read the "what are you dehyrating?" thread :)
Mine's been going steady for 4 days now! :D

Just made up a small jar of dried plum tomatoes, garlic, oregano, thyme and garlic... I think it's gonna be pizza time later this week.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Nesco and Excaliber are BY FAR the best rated. I'd love an excaliber, but for price, gonna end up with Nesco for now :)

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a round Ronco w/no fan. I picked it up at a thrift store for $15. Since I had never dehydrated before, I thought it might be better to start out as inexpensive as possible and see if I felt it was worth a more expensive model. I've only had it a few weeks and haven't used it much, but I was pleasantly suprised at how well it worked. I don't think I'd pay full price for one like this, but I don't think I got ripped off either. If/when I can afford it, I too would like an excalibur based on what I've read and learned here.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could not decide between the Nesco gardenmaster and the Excalibur. It came down to price at the time (and not sure how much I would use it) so I ended up with the 8 tray model (the same as JRmom describes, although I purchased on Amazon.com for 149.99 with free shipping and it included the drying book) I have had zero problems with it ( over two years) but I do believe it takes longer dry times than the Excalibur would. I would decide between these two models if it was time to buy again.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! thanks everyone for your input!!!!

Now I feel like I have a direction to go in and I can read up on those models!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a cheap Nesco model years ago. It was good to learn on, but doesn't work for my needs now. Many things about it irritate me - the round trays don't allow for enough food and the hole in the middle is annoying, don't like having to rotate trays, it didn't come with any mesh and I've been too lazy to make some, so stuff falls through to the bottom all the time.

I am saving up for an Excalibur. Wanted one for over a year now. Holds a lot more, plan to get the same type as KOxxx described. Like the idea that I can also use it to raise bread and make yogurt if I want. It is pricey, but I feel it will pay for itself quickly in convenience and quantity of dried foods.