Short Growing Season Places

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
1) Windbreaks, preferably also acting as sun-traps as much as possible.

2) Raised beds.

3) Cold frames or hoop-houses.

;)

Good luck, have fun, welcome to BYC,

Pat

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the help. I've been to the Ed Hume website. I checked out the little greenhouse made with re-bar and pvc pipe. All stuff I can do for myself...ergo self-sufficient.
I'm working on planting hops today. Made a hops trellis with 2x4 and masonry cord. We'll see if the hops climbs that type of cord.
You are all a great bunch.
I'm really glad I joined this BB
Thanks again,
Trim

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, Hey, we're practically neighbors, I'm in central Idaho and we have the same challenges that you do.

Wind breaks are essential and they have to be strong! We are new at this also and our windbreaks will be made out of semi clear plastic sheeting supported by wood frames. We also are planning a series of cold frames. The plan is to have these plastic sheets moveable to slide into frames on which ever side of the raised beds needs it most, about 3 feet tall, with this we can have wind break from wind that comes from different directions, and a few panels will be opaque to provide shading in case we need some of that.

Neighbors recently purchased some kind of fabric greenhouse with super strong nylon or whatever and pvc piping. Wind ripped it to shreds and blew it apart in no time. Build your wind breaks strong and to endure, along with your green house. Just a regular wood fence or side of a barn is a good windbreak.

We pile staw bales up around our tree seedlings. Mistake. Blew right over on the trees... they survivied though. still young and tender enough.

Look into indiginious edible plants. What did the native americans eat? Look at currents, choke cherries, raspberries

plant your tomatoes inside large tractor tires. The heat stored though the black surface will keep the beds warmer. Again you will need wind breaks. I am thinking of hanging tomatoes also on a wheeled wardrobe rack so when weather gets bad I just pull them into the garage.

Search for seeds from russia, canada and other high and cold altitudes. They are out there. You want mostly those listed as 60 to 65 day seeds. There are many things you cannot grow but more than you think. A neighbor recently grew artichokes.

Corn doesn't grow here. Nobody tries anymore.

We are zone 4 with a hint of 3.

With lasagna gargening your soil tend to be warmer because composting is happening in the beds. Lots of info on lasagna gardening and layered or mulched beds on you tube.

Do a search on Ruth Stout combined with organic garden and see what comes up. She was a master!

For cold frames you can put raw manure about a foot down under the soil/ compost that you plant in. Make sure its down enough so the roots don't get into it. It will heat up your cold frame a few degrees. They also have electric systems to put in the bottom of beds to heat them up and if you have solar/wind electric that may be worth looking into

We are planning a sunroom attached to the house we are building this year. It should never get below 40 in there so I am hopeful it will be a good place for starting seedlings.

We are also planning a small greenhouse. We just purchased about 20, 55 gallon drums to line the back wall for solar heat storage.

For cattle look into Yaks.

I love "the four seasons garden" book also. worth the purchase. Get it used on amazon.

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here the only solution is to go for a hydroponics system so that no atmosphere and no season or nothing is going to matter at all. It should be in support of an aquaponics system so we can get full support.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
brandylorton said:
Here the only solution is to go for a hydroponics system so that no atmosphere and no season or nothing is going to matter at all. It should be in support of an aquaponics system so we can get full support.
Must be pretty cold where you are if you have no other option. Where are you? What zone are you in? What kind of soil do you have there?
The aquaponic system is really quite interesting. Tell me about yours!

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am located at usa. So location is not a problem at all but the thing is that my soil is lava rock type so i do not know which is suited for it.. I grow few plants in my indoor hp garden and i grow potato there.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
brandylorton said:
I am located at usa. So location is not a problem at all but the thing is that my soil is lava rock type so i do not know which is suited for it.. I grow few plants in my indoor hp garden and i grow potato there.
Well our old friend and POTUS grows peanuts in Georgia. I imagine that the soil where YOU are might allow some agricultural activity. Where is the volcano that created your lava rock in your area?

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Peanuts that is very nice and you my friend got very nice observation. The volcano is my area so that is why my soil type is lava rock.