Shortage of Bragg's Vinegar?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone know why there would be a shortage of Bragg's ACV? Or maybe it is available in your area. But in the two stores I am aware that sells it, it seems to sell out within a day of getting a shipment. Maybe the general public is catching on to its goodness.
On this subject, did I read on this forum that if you mix the mother of Bragg's into regular ACV, (like Heinz) you will get "good enough" ACV, after the passage of some time?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As a collector and user of vinegars, I have always wondered why there's so much enthusiasm for apple cider vinegar on this forum. Chemically, they're similar. Certainly tastes differ...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grew my own mother a few years back by adding Braggs to home made juice.

No shortage in our area. Maybe you could have them order some just for you?

g

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm able to find it at any health/natural food store locally. I just got a pint and dumped it into a gallon of the regular, pasturized stuff. When that's about half gone, I take a cup or two from it and toss it in a new gallon. That way I always have it on hand and only had to "invest" in it once :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
As a collector and user of vinegars, I have always wondered why there's so much enthusiasm for apple cider vinegar on this forum. Chemically, they're similar. Certainly tastes differ...
Personally, I quite like the taste of ACV ... though I have, and use, numerous other sorts as well. As to why it is popular? I imagine that it started out being the vinegar of choice in this country because most homes had apple trees, and many people made apple cider (the hard stuff), so ACV was the easiest to make at home. Just as wine vinegar is the vinegar of choice in Mediterranean countries, and malt vinegar in England.
Making vinegar is simple, though it takes some time. I have made ACV from fresh apples - though starting with some raw vinegar (not pasteurized), Braggs or something other, will cut some time off the process. You don't necessarily need *Mother*; for the first several years that I was making vinegar I never got a *mother*, even though the vinegar bacteria were alive and active. I just used a cup or so of finished vinegar to start a new batch. Google "home made vinegar" and see what you can find. Or use the search function here at SS - there have been several discussions on this topic over the years.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check your labels for preservatives Usually Sodium Benzoate! I havent found it in apple cider vinegar yet but I have seen it in some of the fancy vinegars such as red wine, raspberry, and malt vinegars. I assume that because of its lower acid content rice vinegar seems to always have it for a preservative.
You all are aware that the mother produces the vinegar from alcohol, the pulp fiber of fruit clumps together to form the visible mother. The only thing the mother proves is the vinegar was made by the old slow method that takes a month or so. The fast method pumps air thru the liquid to help the bacteria and a batch can be done in two days
k15n1 as a collector you should know that the common chemical feature is the prescience of acetic acid [usually around 5%, the different tastes are because of the different sources of alcohol.] Apple juice is what the old timers had so a lot of stories got passed down about ACV. ~gd

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bragg's goes quick in our area too but I tried the only other brand that had organic and non-filtered apple cider vinegar that has the mother in it and that is Fleischmann's. I like it and it has the same as bragg's and is about $1.50 less per bottle. and it bottled in glass bottles. It usually is right next to the Bragg's in the store. I've used it in my home made wine too as an inoculate to make more. I had a wine that was just okay(apple wine) a bit strong and it made a very nice vinegar.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
No health food stores in our area so I order ACV and coconut oil from vitacost.com They seem to have good prices, at least to me and they do carry Braggs.

wannabefarmergirl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have a shortage here in our local health food store. Something ab a bad batch of apples was used or something. Not 100% sure, heard that through a friend who went to buy some.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wannabefarmergirl said:
We have a shortage here in our local health food store. Something ab a bad batch of apples was used or something. Not 100% sure, heard that through a friend who went to buy some.
I can totally see that happening.. almost all of Michigan lost it's apple crop this year.(hum.. last year?) I only had 8 apples on both trees.. that stretch of 80 degree weather in march just about wiped out all the tree crops in my yard. Good thing we had a bumper crop of raspberries.