shortages

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
seems the shortages are coming again. now its sugar in my area. ive been kinda lax on preps lately so i went and got 40 lbs of sugars, 20 lbs of flour, and a bunch of other odds and ends for baking and started packing it up today. while i was at it i grabbed the 20 lb bag of rice from the deep freezer thats been there for who knows how many weeks and packed it up.

today i used mylar bags and mason jars with my vac sealer. the mylar works well on bags of flour. just drop the bag of flour in the mylar bag, throw in an oxy absorber, seal it up with the wifes flat iron and throw it in the deep freezer for a week. then its safe for the shelf.

the sugar went in jars. vac sealed is good enough in my book for white sugar.

i also vac sealed the rice in jars because it was still cold from the freezer and i didnt want any air im the container to make condesation to possibly spoil the food.

stuff is getting high dollar. a few vags of sugar, and a few other staples were over $50 at the dollar general

i have a feeling things are about to get ugly, but im at peace with it. not stressed at all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's going to get interesting. I need to top off more sensitive items. I'm seeing random items out of stock for weeks and months at a time. One brand of ricotta cheese, two V8 products, etc. I have food allergies so I'm trying to stock items I cant substitute.

I saw on a FB group that shortages and prices hikes are regional and scattered. A woman complained that meat proces were very high, but another person 20 miles away had very low meat prices. Shop around, buy local, stay stocked, but no panic. It will recover/stabilize eventually.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have higher meat prices and some other grocery items. No real issues with shortages so far. I’m not that worried about it. Between what we have and what our friends have, and hunting… we certainly won’t starve. I do need to restock some things in my medicine cabinet and those sorts of things. Honestly I usually prep for winter because of snow storms, power outages, flu season, etc, so maybe I’m just used to it🤷🏻‍♀️

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We have higher meat prices and some other grocery items. No real issues with shortages so far. I’m not that worried about it. Between what we have and what our friends have, and hunting… we certainly won’t starve. I do need to restock some things in my medicine cabinet and those sorts of things. Honestly I usually prep for winter because of snow storms, power outages, flu season, etc, so maybe I’m just used to it🤷🏻‍♀️
I hate shopping in January! Too cold and windy. I keep more stock in winter. Winter storms are nothing to mess around with. I wont leave home in bad driving weather to go grocery shopping.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I shopped today. I saw some bare spots in the meat department. Not terrible, but mostly a shortage of luncheon meat and Lunchables, lol. I can live without. Prices are definitely up.
Or some who stock up on large items like pet food bags so they don't have to carry them in winter.
That's why I use Chewy. Five dogs...nope...not carrying that much dog food around! If the delivery service goes down I'll be in trouble....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We still have coffee in the shelves her but up in price a few dollars
:welcomeI bought a little more coffee last month than usual. The price was the same. What kind of coffee did you buy that was price increased? I got organic fair trade certified from ALDI.

Last edited:

Latest posts