Should I add potassium iodide to MY emergency store?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Icu4dzs said:
... K0xxx also states that you can paint just plain iodine on your skin and it will be absorbed in adequate amounts. I am NOT as certain about this approach as I am about SSKI...

s
Skin absorption does not reach the organs ;)
Whoa, I did not state this as fact. What I did say was:

k0xxx said:
Sometime back I had copied some info relating to nuclear emergencies to a word file. I don't remember where it came from, so I'd recommend that you do your homework before even thinking about trusting the info, but here it is anyway as a starting point for your own investigation.

"In an emergency, if no more KI tablets available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine is NEVER to be ingested or swallowed, it is poison to drink.) For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to initial exposure. For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml. (One measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don't have a medicine dropper graduated in ml.) If your iodine solution is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly. Absorption through the skin is not as reliable a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most."
Here is some more of what I had copied:

According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center, using 24 healthy adult male subjects, an adult could get a blocking dose of stable iodine by painting 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm approximately 2 hours prior to I-131 contamination. The abstract of his study titled "Effectiveness of Skin Absorption of Tincture of I in Blocking Radioiodine from the Human Thyroid Gland" from Health Physics, June 1989, Vol. 56, No. 6, pages 911-914, (To read abstract, search the title of the article here) states:

"Although there were large variations within each subject group in regard to serum-I levels and thyroid uptakes, the increase in serum-I concentration after topical-I application was effective in reducing the thyroid uptake of I131. The authors conclude that in the absence of KI, most humans would benefit from topical application of tincture of-I, and that in some the effectiveness would equal that of oral KI."

I have no idea whether Mr. Miller's research is valid or not, but feel that it might be worth trying in a "this or nothing" scenario.

As for stocking up on KI or KIO3, I regard it as cheap insurance for me and my family with regards to this one particular type of radiation. However, if I didn't already have some stocked, I would wait until all of this has blown over and then purchase it for the regular low price. Famous Last Words. :rolleyes:

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
patandchickens said:
Call me cynical, but "whether to get it" aside, I would be highly curious to know how the prices they are charging now compare to the prices they were charging a week ago, or are likely to be charging some time in the future after the novelty-scare-etc has worn off.

I can tell you that if Lugol's solution is an acceptable alternative to the pills (as I gather it is), ain't no WAY it inherently costs anything like that much, in the sense of what it costs from chemical supply houses if you're buying it from the lab.

So color me a bit suspicious about that $149.

As to whether to get it -- enh. Never hurts to be prepared, and who knows... BUT, the chances of you ever needing it are statistically indistinguishable from zero, plus local governments generally HAVE potassium iodide tablets stockpiled for emergency distribution to those living real close to nuclear plants, so, I would not describe it as a high priority, IMHO.

Pat
$149? What!!??? Try $29
http://www.jcrows.com/iodine.html

Lugols is the same as Ioderol.

Iodine in out diet is a high priority. It supports the endocrine system, and allows it to function well :)
thanks for the link BB,,I just placed a $80 order,,LOL.I am going to try the horse stuff for allergies on our old guy,he is 19 this year.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I have no idea whether Mr. Miller's research is valid or not, but feel that it might be worth trying in a "this or nothing" scenario.
The author of the paper is from a reputable medical institution (one not far from Three Mile Island in fact, possibly explaining his interest in the subject), and the paper is published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal so I would say the research is certainly valid.

Obviously, in the absence of seeing additional studies, there is a limit to how totally confidant one can be in his results (n=24 is not a lot of test subjects), but they do seem to strongly suggest that painting on Betadine or other iodine solution would be the smart thing to do if you were in the vicinity of a radioactive-iodine release and had not KI tablets available; and would probably be at least 'somewhat' effective.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pills protect radiation from direct thyroid etc
do the google

they are useless in true nuclear emergency

they are not recommended for over 40 people etc. due to side effects

just stocking a pill isn't going to do anything for you at this point

google and find the true answers....they are out there :p

the pill covers direct thyroid action, but you can eat radiated food, breath radiated air, etc etc etc

so take it all in stride seriously.......

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had a supply of potassium iodide for a while. More for a nuclear attack scenario than a plant meltdown. Of course everyone thought I was crazy but there was a time when everyone thought there was no possibility of our planes hijacked & flown into buildings. (A friend discovered the bomb shelter in the basement.....I'm expecting them to bring me a roll of tinfoil any day now. :rolleyes:
All I can say is it was worth the $40 for the pills & the small amount of time & effort to prepare a corner of the basement for the peace of mind that I've done what I could in that area.

$149 is way too much but maybe worth it if you feel you need the protection.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
do the google

just stocking a pill isn't going to do anything for you at this point

google and find the true answers....they are out there :p

the pill covers direct thyroid action, but you can eat radiated food, breath radiated air, etc etc etc

FC, I'm confused regarding your post, and I would ask that you explain it to me. At the same time, I will attempt to give my understanding of the subject. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or cause any ill will, I just am honestly confused and I wish to understand your opinions.

Pills protect radiation from direct thyroid? I'm not sure what you mean here.

They are useless in a true nuclear emergency? I guess that depends on what you consider a true emergency. I would suspect that it would provide very little protection if a nuclear weapon was detonated in close proximity, but as for ingested or inhaled Iodine-131, it has been proven effective.

True they are not recommended for people over 40, but in a fallout situation, I would personally find the risks acceptable and we do have younger family members.

I couldn't agree more, just stocking up on the pills will not do you any good whatsoever. You actually have to take them at least a couple of hours prior to the possible exposure. Iodine-131 is one of the primary types of radiation released by nuclear reaction. Living directly downwind from a nuclear power plant I see the KI pills as a form of insurance. You hope that you never need them, but they are there if you do.

Yes, Google is my friend. However, through the use of Google, I have also learned that the moon landings never took place, that Elvis, Andy Kaufman, Tupac Chakur and Michael Jackson each faked their own death and are living together in an undisclosed foreign location, and that the British Royal Family are actually Space Creatures (well ok, this one could be true).

the pill covers direct thyroid action, but you can eat radiated food, breath radiated air

KI or KIO3 saturate the thyroid so that it can not absorb the Iodine-131. Food and air will not hold radiation, but rather the particles on the food or in the air contain the radiation. Once the radioactive particles are removed, the food is safe to eat and the air is safe to breath. So washing any food that may have fallout on it, and using some type of filtering device for air, is highly recommended.

I concur. There's no reason to get worried about any of this. If someone feels that they may have a need for KI pills then they should indeed pick some up, but the current nuclear situation in Japan should not be cause for concern in North America.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
do the google
What do you mean by "true nuclear emergency".

They would obviously have been irrelevant to people at ground zero in Hiroshima 65 years ago. They won't help you against radioactive cesium or plutonium, or standing next to a big blast of happy warm fuzzy gamma radation.

But given that radioactive iodine is a significant problem in many nuclear threat scenarios, and that they DO provide pretty reasonable protection from that (from my reading they appear to have saved a lot of lives after Chernobyl), I would not say they are "useless in a true nuclear emergency".

They just aren't a magic fairy wand, is all :p

That is not quite correct. Quoting wikipedia "The World Health Organization does not recommend KI prophylaxis for adults over 40 years, unless inhaled radiation dose levels are expected to threaten thyroid function; because, the KI side effects increases with age and may exceed the KI protective effects "...unless doses to the thyroid from inhalation rise to levels threatening thyroid function, that is of the order of about 5 Gy. Such radiation doses will not occur far away from an accident site.""

FC, potassium iodide protects against radioactive iodine uptake from ANY source, be it inhaled or ingested in food.

You're still on yer own against other modes of radiation poisoning but you know, it's not like umbrellas are useless just because they don't keep your feet dry in puddles.

(Mind, I still don't think that there is any point in most people stocking up on these; and even if you live right near a nuclear plant, the chances of it ever benefiting you are basically zero. However, rare events DO occasionally happen, and I don't think that it would be utterly unreasonable for some people to prefer to err on the side of what-if.)

JMHO,

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
What are the side effects of KI? I haven't heard, but everyone is talking about them . . . .

I am currently taking 100% RDA of KI in the multivitamin I am taking. Would that protect me in an emergency? I guess that depends upon what my iodine status is? The RDA is pretty small . . . 150 micrograms.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL KOxxx I know you aren't being a smartazz...lol

In the event of a reactor or plant accident, the potassium iodide pills can, if taken prior to exposure to fallout, protect the thyroid gland from damage, reducing the future risk of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer.

Iodine tablets do not prevent radioactive iodine from entering the body in the first place, nor do they protect organs other than the thyroid gland.

basically in a true emergency, like radiation saturation, this pill is not going to save your life. And protection from "JUST" thryroid cancer is not the only way radiation effects the body. if exposed to high level, just this pill 'MIGHT" protect from one problem, but you are still open to tons of other medical affects from radiation.

and yes, if a person feels incline this might help them they should buy them and use as directed.

everyone stock up in life on any and all items they deem important....I do lol

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
basically in a true emergency, like radiation saturation, this pill is not going to save your life. And protection from "JUST" thryroid cancer is not the only way radiation effects the body. if exposed to high level, just this pill 'MIGHT" protect from one problem, but you are still open to tons of other medical affects from radiation.
Amen! The rest of your body may glow in the dark and mutate into a demented, killer mushroom, but your thyroid will be humming right along. :lol: