Should I add potassium iodide to MY emergency store?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
As to whether to get it -- enh. Never hurts to be prepared, and who knows... BUT, the chances of you ever needing it are statistically indistinguishable from zero.
Patandchickens is spot on with that comment. Statistically indistinguishable from zero is diplomatic speak for "in a pigs eye" UNLESS you live next door to a nuclear energy facility that develops a problem like the ones in Japan, Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. However, again, the chances of this happening are rather remote as she stated. Your chances winning the lottery are decidedly greater!

For those who are REALLY concerned and are convinced they need KI, you can still get it in the form of SSKI (saturated solution of potassiium iodide) which I give my patients as an expectorant. The standard dose of it for an expectorant is 4 drops in an 8 ounce glass of water/juice or milk and drink it with a straw so it doesn't stain the teeth. It can be found in any local pharmacy and the concentration on the bottle is easily converted to the medicinal dose in the event of radiological exposure.

K0xxx also states that you can paint just plain iodine on your skin and it will be absorbed in adequate amounts. I am NOT as certain about this approach as I am about SSKI.

It should be DIRT cheap at the local pharmacy but you may need a prescription from your local doc to get it. If you get a productive cough it works wonders. Any auxillary uses would be up to you.

Best
Trim sends

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
patandchickens said:
As to whether to get it -- enh. Never hurts to be prepared, and who knows... BUT, the chances of you ever needing it are statistically indistinguishable from zero.
Patandchickens is spot on with that comment. Statistically indistinguishable from zero is diplomatic speak for "in a pigs eye" UNLESS you live next door to a nuclear energy facility that develops a problem like the ones in Japan, Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. However, again, the chances of this happening are rather remote as she stated. Your chances winning the lottery are decidedly greater!

For those who are REALLY concerned and are convinced they need KI, you can still get it in the form of SSKI (saturated solution of potassiium iodide) which I give my patients as an expectorant. The standard dose of it for an expectorant is 4 drops in an 8 ounce glass of water/juice or milk and drink it with a straw so it doesn't stain the teeth. It can be found in any local pharmacy and the concentration on the bottle is easily converted to the medicinal dose in the event of radiological exposure.

K0xxx also states that you can paint just plain iodine on your skin and it will be absorbed in adequate amounts. I am NOT as certain about this approach as I am about SSKI.

It should be DIRT cheap at the local pharmacy but you may need a prescription from your local doc to get it. If you get a productive cough it works wonders. Any auxillary uses would be up to you.

Best
Trim sends
Skin absorption does not reach the organs ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Good Foods sells Celtic sea salt in big bags. I'll have to check it out, and I don't cook with any sort of iodized salt at all. For all I know, we are short of iodine. Not enough to be severe, but a little bit.

Are there foods with natural iodine in them?
Fish head soup, of course. Seaweed and unprocessed Sea Salt.
Unprocessed milk and pastured eggs. Red meat.

www.cheeseslave.com has wonderful posts on Iodine. Just use her search engine.
She discusses protocols for bringing levels up into good ranges.

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.I'm still un-decided about this.But I am thinking more about what I need to do.We should get more in our diet.I worried about that when I changed to sea salt.I've always known about using iodized salt.We eat regular amounts of lean red meat.I just don't know about fish head soup.:sick There's plenty of fish not counting the head.I think I'd rather eat the liver and roe.
I am still wondering if there is a blood test that can deterime(sp) a persons iodine levels?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ThisOldCabin said:
Thanks everyone.I'm still un-decided about this.But I am thinking more about what I need to do.We should get more in our diet.I worried about that when I changed to sea salt.I've always known about using iodized salt.We eat regular amounts of lean red meat.I just don't know about fish head soup.:sick There's plenty of fish not counting the head.I think I'd rather eat the liver and roe.
I am still wondering if there is a blood test that can deterime(sp) a persons iodine levels?
The head contains the thyroid ;) And its actually quite yummy! Not visually pleasing though.
Salt water fish are the best choice.

You can certainly get tested for levels. Ask your dr.
Do go over the lists online to see if anything pops out at you.
Stick with good sea salt, as it has naturaly occuring Iodine in it.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Neko-chan said:
How do you know that you're low on iodine?
There are several clues and a simple test that can give you an idea.

Stress headaches. That includes neck aches.
Inability to lose weight. Although that is usually traced back to low adrenals, which in turn deplete the thyroid.
Thinning hair. Excess facial hair in women ( caused by low progesterone, which the thyroid and adrenals normally provide).
Goiter.
OK, you just described my daily life there...headaches, just about daily...especially in the neck area....Lose weight? Ha, everyone loses it, I FIND it!! :p
Thinning hair...Ohhh yeah, I just thought it was my age, being closer to 50 than I want to admit. :/
Goiter? Hmm, well, I have 5 "lumps" on my thyroid. They have been tested, and they are not cancer...they dont hurt..and are not growing. The Dr said he will just keep an eye on them.
Guess I better have my iodine levels checked??

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Neko-chan said:
How do you know that you're low on iodine?
There are several clues and a simple test that can give you an idea.

Stress headaches. That includes neck aches.
Inability to lose weight. Although that is usually traced back to low adrenals, which in turn deplete the thyroid.
Thinning hair. Excess facial hair in women ( caused by low progesterone, which the thyroid and adrenals normally provide).
Goiter.
OK, you just described my daily life there...headaches, just about daily...especially in the neck area....Lose weight? Ha, everyone loses it, I FIND it!! :p
Thinning hair...Ohhh yeah, I just thought it was my age, being closer to 50 than I want to admit. :/
Goiter? Hmm, well, I have 5 "lumps" on my thyroid. They have been tested, and they are not cancer...they dont hurt..and are not growing. The Dr said he will just keep an eye on them.
Guess I better have my iodine levels checked??
Get your adrenals tested too. Natropath would be a better route to go.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Mm, seaweed. I'm going to have to eat more sushi i think. Which means MAKING more sushi! :weee I'll have to look for dried wakame. Yu can soak it in water, shred it, and serve it with a dressing of soy sauce, seasame seeds, and rice vinegar. Very good. I might even be able to get hubby to try it. :D

Isn't the thyroid in the throat though?
Technically, yes. But when the head is cut off a fish, its throat is a part of it :lol: