Should I OR Shouldn't I????

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
While there's only a few people where I board, if I had any way to get my own place, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm tired of all the drama, everyone that expects me to do stuff for them w/out returning the favor, etc. I am getting better and better at telling people no.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Farms and barns are getting to be a big biz in the wedding venue market. Are they attractive/rustic enough to make for pretty weddings? That's seasonal and it's big bucks for small effort.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very cool idea Bee.

these are animal barns. no way I could tear down 30 inside stalls. metal framed etc. cool idea but these barns are not good for that.

what I love about the soap biz is I make it at home, on my time, sell thru mail, Dad still does the market cause he is retired and wants to stay busy. I have retail stores and that is handled thru mailing also.

What worries me about another biz is having to be available and having to deal with people on an everyday basis.

hmmm....I gotta think WAY more about this. before I do something stupid :p

oh and kiddo just got into a girl scout troop. see, more junk I gotta deal with lol

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know a lady who has a non profit business with horses wherein she has a barn and stables available for children and adults with physical and mental disabilities who can come for therapy riding. She gets grants to cover costs and development and these folks have a place to do their therapy. She provides the horses for this and trains them for this type of work....the biggest expense I could see there would be proper insurance and making things accessible.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gotcha! What about renting the barns for storage? Minimal people issues that way, collect the rent in advance.

Gotta second the notion of working with friends...I've rarely seen it work well :( Best of intentions and all but there's too much gets in the way...can ruin both the friendship and the business.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dang FC, get a hobby. :gig

You worked so long and hard then you were so happy to unload all of the goats and hogs. Why do you want to tie yourself down again?

Is it boredom or the empty barns that bother you more?

What about horses for you and Nicole? Have you thought about that? :idunno

g

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Liability, Liability. First thing to check into is the cost of insurance. LOTS of insurance. Second, you are cross-firing here--you don't want to be tied down then you throw out the idea of a horse rental barn. You can have one or the other, but not both.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
baymule said:
Liability, Liability. First thing to check into is the cost of insurance. LOTS of insurance. Second, you are cross-firing here--you don't want to be tied down then you throw out the idea of a horse rental barn. You can have one or the other, but not both.
I know. I gear toward farm biz situations and empty barns means fill them up LOL

but I agree, I can't have it both ways.

Father in law ran board for a few years back when we raised spotted saddle horses. before the cancer and he slowly shut down the boarding. about 10-15 people over a few years. He had the insurance and all necessary so it would be easy to get all that. he had lawyer contracts for people to sign etc. It would be so simple to start up this biz. BUT like you say the worry is the tie down.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know the other day I told Tony he could use my red horse barn in my backyard for whatever. I decided horses weren't in the cards because I want to travel.

duh

what the heck is wrong with this picture?

I must be nuts.

thanks for chatting this out. it helped me. I am not moving forward with horse boarding. I want my freedom more than this biz could ever give me. And even with good people to help/hire I do know if I own this biz I would have to give it my all. I don't want to invest all that time and responsibility.

I have time on my hands to think about how I want to move into more productive days. I just have to think about an easier direction that definitely will fit the freedom aspect of what I want.

some days I come up with stupid ideas, I think this is one of them :p

funny but after 15 years of income farming with the chickens, hogs, goats, cattle, crops etc....shutting the biz was great, but now I see it all just sitting there. not being used. breaks my heart in one way, but I don't miss all that work either.

Tony is selling the old gooseneck horse trailer and we are selling an older tractor also. Along with cattle head gates and some other equip. 'seems' so final or something maybe it got me into a funk just thinking about old times???

I don't know :/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How about renting it all out to someone who wants to farm? You still own it, but you only need to get liability insurance, make repairs, and not have to see them all empty.