Should We buy this greenhouse?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh man. My husband gets me going.

No we are not buying it.

He says he doesn't have time to deal with it right now.

So I say to him, why get me going over it then?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Oh man. My husband gets me going.

No we are not buying it.

He says he doesn't have time to deal with it right now.

So I say to him, why get me going over it then?
Don't you just hate it when they do that?

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
What do you think about this 30 x 30 green house for sale for $800. I don't think it comes with a cover. Apparently my husband wants a bigger green house than I was thinking of.

Does it look like a good value?

Is there a downside to one this big?

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/414_13325525.jpg
Well I cant see the pic, but 30 x 30 is a biggun. I'd prefer longer than square - I reckon theres a reason why nearly all large greehouses are rectanuglar. But it is what it is.

The one thing that the large g-house has over smaller ones is thermal buffering. The larger the air mass, the less fluctuation it will experience. In other words, its easier to keep a large air mass stable, once it has reached temp.

So what is the downside? As the others have said, there is a point where the outside temps will overcome the air mass in the greenhouse, no matter how much heat you add. The minimum for any greenhouse is 7 degrees C (42F), and a warmer is better.

If it gets down to -30C where you live, that is nearly 40 degrees difference - which you have to make up by adding heat. At some point, the cost of heat may outweigh any benefit derived from the greenhouse.

Reaction score
We have a hoop type that is 24x48 and 10 ft high in down the center. Four year 7mm film cost 360.00. I wasted the first film by using furring strips to secure it. The wind made quick work of it. They sell 8' long c channel that holds it real well. We have 79-80 mph winds on a regular basis as well as hail and it is still going strong. We don't heat. Just not cost effective.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I just bought some cool weather vegetable seeds today (lettuce, radish and the sort) but rather than a full sized green house I am building a super insulated cold frame using old storm windows with shutters for nighttime closing. The windows will slide open for watering and harvest and will most likely be six foot high at the back and two foot high at the front which would give an optimal winter sun angle of 60 for this latitude.

I still have a few months before it gets down to frost temperatures (Dec.) and now wonder if I need bugs for pollination of these? I will post pictures as I complete this project. It won't be real big to start just a test for the future.

Latest posts