Shoutout to Quail!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you do with your quail that you raise? We have a whole bunch of them that run around between our property & the neighbor's property & they are just huge!!!!!!!! I counted at least 8 of them this morning when I was opening my blinds. I was thinking if we could trap them & put them in a pen then we would have a little more meat to eat this winter. Just curious as to your thoughts.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have only hatched them and let them go as soon as they could get out of the coop. I am thinking that if I get more I am going to see if anyone is giving away an old rabbit hutch and use that to keep them in and then hatch and release a bunch so that maybe some will eventually hang around my yard. So, far I have not seen any from the ones we let go before but, several of my neighbors are hunters.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I had some pharoah quail that we had bought from a BYC member. We had planned to raise them and eat some...sell eggs..etc...Do you know those stupid things cannablise eachother?!

We took them to the auction after they dug into two cagemates brains, literally.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I had some pharoah quail that we had bought from a BYC member. We had planned to raise them and eat some...sell eggs..etc...Do you know those stupid things cannablise eachother?!

We took them to the auction after they dug into two cagemates brains, literally.
Yikes! What would cause them to do that??

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:

I was not aware of that, yeeewwww!!! I did see a couple of them this morning chasing & pecking at other ones but just thought maybe they were after the same food. Wow that is interesting to know. Maybe I will just get my ds to come out & get them for me, he likes to hunt. Right now they are huge!!!! And I mean huge!!!
thanks for getting back to me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HM
if you can hunt them, go for it. I bet those are tasty quail out there! good eatin!

quail is delish!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Homesteadmom can you get any pictures of them and post them so we can see how big they are??

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know this is a tad bit off topic but what about pigeon/squab. I think they are pretty easy to raise and allways come home. Or is that just homeing pigeons?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think I will rig up a trap to catch them & then have dh or ds#1 take care of them for me.
I plan on reformatting my computer this weekend so hopefully it will let me upload pics then. So I will take some pics if I can get them(they are fast runners you know). And sometime after Sat., morning I will try to get them posted.

Tanks, does pigeon taste good? I really try to make sure all our animals really serve a purpose around here to pay for their feed. I was taught a long time ago that all animals on a homestead need to earn their cost in feed by supplying something in return. Our hens of course give us eggs, the ram gives us wool, the cattle give us meat as do the roosters. The cat keeps the mouse population down. The duck well we will see what it contributes if it is a girl.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure how Squab taste. I know it's very popular in the UK. I agree with the serving a purpose motto. I have not planted anything in the ground is several years unless it gives somethng back. Good luck on thr re format. Dont forget to make coppies of all your pics and documents. g