Show me your clothes lines!

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am going to put up a clothes line and I want to do it "right".

Please give any tips or hints for types of posts, pins, placement, lines, etc.

Thanks, I know I will only have one shot at this!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
can't give ya any wonderful advice

I did a rope between 2 trees. yup, about 40 ft tied. that it is for me and it works perfect.

sad little line, but :idunno, sure works great.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I use 3 heavy duty retractables that zig zag across our back deck. They work just fine. I can even hang heavy wet quilts across them.

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I really don' have the space between trees like that.... What brand of retractable did you use?

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use a rotary dryer. Works great for us because we don't really have the room to put up enough traditional line to hang a whole load. I put it up when I have a load to dry, and take it down to store in the shed when I'm not using it. I can fit about two loads on it at a time, so I have plenty of room.

This is the one we bought: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=15860090

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Gosh, Ellie, I've had them so long that I don't remember. I think we bought them at Lowe's though.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine is the square umbrella-ish kind. I like it because I can basically stand in one spot almost to hang stuff out. The only thing I don't like is how close the individual lines are - but I only use every other one.

And I use both the spring and the other type of pins...they're useful for a variety of applications.

(and you NEED a hot clothes pin apron! *giggle*)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I have two 4x4 posts at each end...they are about 4 feet apart....then 20' from one end to that other. Then we have a trellis all the way up on one side with a clematis on it....the other end only has a tressel a couple feet high with nothing on it, just blacked eyed susans in front of it. Then we have a 2x4 going acrossed from each 4x4 that is like 5' or so long. Then we have 5 rows of clothes line strung throw that. We do a TON of laundry so we need a massive amount of clothes line. It is big enough to hold two loads of landry from our front load washer.

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks, Punkin. Thank you for the description PamsPride. I would love a picture of it if you can sometime.

I did wonder how those Jenna and Potter but I do have the room.