shower and tub cleaner for hard water stains or soap scum

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that my hubs has been using a new concoction for a few months now that may not have been posted here before--if it has, please forgive me.

Hubs is the designated tub and shower cleaner at our place. He read online about a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 1 part Dawn dish soap being an excellent soap scum and hard water stain remover, but we don't buy Dawn. So he tried it with Sunlight instead, and being the cheapskate (er, frugal guy) he is, he went with 2 parts vinegar to 1 part Sunlight dish soap. The original instructions also said to heat the vinegar first, but this he also ignored.

He was very pleased with his first use of the new cleaner, as we have very hard water (our water source is a river that begins at a Rocky Mountain glacier so has a lot of minerals dissolved in it) and one spray-down plus gentle wipe-down about half an hour later made both our tub and our stand-up shower sparkly clean.

He has used it every couple of weeks for a couple of months now and still loves it. The smell after cleaning isn't objectionable, although the scent of lemony Sunlight and vinegar mixed together is a little unusual--more vinegary than soapy. No idea what the Dawn mixture would smell like.

So, if you have hard water or trouble with soap scum I recommend giving it a try :)

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds very interesting
thanks for posting...
may mix up a batch and use as a canning jar spray...
somehow I often seem to forget the vinager in the water...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For canning jars (and regular glassware) that have that cloudiness from hard water, I just rinse them in a half water/half vinegar mixture, sometimes with a bit of scrubbing around the lid threads, then wash as usual--no need to mix in the dish soap :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cool!!!!!!!! I have the yuckiest hard water and lime scale that gets all over my bathroom sinks and showers and the toilets are even worse! I have reverted to chemical usage on those :/ I'll definately be trying this! Thanks for the tip!!! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll have to try this. I have both Dawn and Sunlight, so maybe I can make a small batch of each and see which works better. Our water is acidic, and as a result, it will corrode the copper pipes so we end up w/green in the tub.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Cool!!!!!!!! I have the yuckiest hard water and lime scale that gets all over my bathroom sinks and showers and the toilets are even worse! I have reverted to chemical usage on those :/ I'll definately be trying this! Thanks for the tip!!! :D
Hubs just said that he thinks it works so well because the dish soap makes the vinegar more gel-like so it takes longer to run down the glass or tub sides, and the soap also cuts the oils that make soap scum what it is (hard water plus soap).

Hope it works for you like it has for us :)

Jeremy_31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another great use for Vinegar. There is really nothing vinegar can't do. Thanks for the sharing your hubs soap scum remover. I will definiately be using his idea on my tub. Keep sharing your ideas!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Jeremy_31 !

John_henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thats a great tip! We have soft water here, but my mum is plagued by hard water. I know she used denture cleaning tablets, but I don't think she's tried this.

P.s. The denture cleaning tablets work great in the toilet bowl, and for getting rid of lime scale in your kettle etc.