SHTF Hygiene

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Shouldn't it be the FULL moon lodge?
Well, that totally depends on one of a few details. Historically, it was a "half moon" which was cut into the door for a bit of lighting without forgetting a bit of "privacy". So the issue really is First the "time of day" and light conditions. The other is an issue of shall we say, "exposure". Either works...LOL

That's why I decided to name it "Tails of the Half Moon Lodge" in honor of WoodWzrd's post.
Anyway, we decided to build a two holer for nastalgic porposes. We used all reclaimed barn lumber and built it in the driveway and trailered it out to "The 20". It has since been named the half moon lodge.
:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
freemotion said:
:lol: Wow, Trim, that story gives SHTF new meaning....

As for baking soda, forget it. Learn fermenting techniques for cooking, and you can clean with vinegar.

Salt? Read my salt thread. It would be a huge problem in many parts of this country, but a trip to the ocean once a year could resolve that. Or every few years if traded with other families. Salt would be a valuable commodity, as it is necessary to life. Aren't there mines in Utah? Redmond salt?
And that would be....? :p

Also, I know Baking Soda is not nessesary, but it dose make some really good breads!
Here ya go: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4489

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We had a two seater when I was growing up but no one but my parents used it together.

I now have a two seater and the second seat is built for a toddler...which is kind of cute, if you think about it and makes a lot of sense.

Its a shame more people didn't keep their old outhouses here in the country...when the electric goes off, folks are in a scramble to find a way to flush. Of course, along with the outhouses, the outdoor well pump also went by the wayside.

Both are essential, IMO. If you've got water and a place to make a sissy....well...you just about have everything. :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Salt would be a valuable commodity, as it is necessary to life. Aren't there mines in Utah? Redmond salt?
Also under a large amount of Kansas. Think Hutchison salt mines!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is quite a bit of salt under parts of MI-in fact Detroit used to be quite big into salt mining and I am sure that it will be remembered for that fact after TSHTF! So I can see quite a big barter train going on around here. But I sure would miss my sea salt and even that super prissy and fancy pink Himalayan salt!! lol

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love the memories of the old outhouse. You know what they say - wherever you put it - in the summer, it's too close to the house, and in the winter, it's too far away.

As for toothbrushes - my grandmother used to show us how to take a twig from some kind of sweet smelling bush (don't remember the kind now) and she would chew the end a little until it frayed - then use it to brush her teeth.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
kc, that was probably a sassafras bush....good for brushing teeth and dusting bottoms! :barnie