Sick goat

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Sorry on the baby oil - I forgot that.

To highjack for a minute, I read the back of the baby oil I've had for little g that I never used...it said the ingrediants were mineral oil and aloe extract and then something I can't pronounce or remember....?

I'd inject the ivomec at 1cc/50# and repeat in 10 days. It's safe to use on the pregnant goats.

If/when you have kids on the ground, check them over at about a week old. If they present signs of mites do the same treatment. I had to do that with Opi's little kids at a week old and they were fine. It was hard to dose 0.05ml, but I did it.

ETA - some people toss the milk from lacating does that you've given the treatment to. Either use it for soap or give it to the chickens. I'm unsure of the withholding period as I've yet given it to lacating does, but I want to say it's around 3-4 days??? Might want to check on that, though.
Thanks!
I am putting together a suppliment paste right now, and DH is picking up the Ivo in town today.
Been reading over on Fias Co and I really need to get together a goat kit of home remedies and the like.

I plan on giving her a paste made from benedryl, zinc, C and B complex this morning.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup Anything you can do to boost health is great.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with Hazel and Daisy. Dry flaky skin, loosing hair and itching. I dusted them with DE first, didn't work. Made skin drier. Then I tried olive oil with tea tree, worked for a little but not long. I think I will have to break down and do the Iver. inject.

The weather here has been cold and damp. That isn't helping either. They refuse to leave the barn. First sunny day the barn is getting sanitized, I swear. :lol:

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Something else that works, although not really a home remedy, is red cell.

My oldest (but newest) doe, April is wicked thin around her hips and her coat looks like crap. I gave her ivo orally to get worms (her gums and eyes are slightly pale) and then gave her red cell to help if she's anemic.

She perked right up after that - can't really say I've seen a difference in her coat since I only gave it to her 2 days ago, but the perkiness was a hopeful sign. If you're not against Red Cell, I'd have DH pick that up too. It should be in the horse section and, in my state, costs about $8 for a gallon jug. I dose it at around 3-6 ml per 50#.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And - forgot something else - again, not really "home remedy" but it still works.

Blue Seal Sunshine goat feed mix. Smells just like licorice (or I think it does) and you only need to mix in about a handful with their daily dose of grain.

My first doe, Eloise, came to me and lost a ton of weight. Her hair started falling out because she was stressed about the move. Her prior owner suggested I pick that up - it's expensive, about $30 for a 50# bag, but since you give so little it lasts a while.

About a week later her coat was so slick and shiny.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Something else that works, although not really a home remedy, is red cell.

My oldest (but newest) doe, April is wicked thin around her hips and her coat looks like crap. I gave her ivo orally to get worms (her gums and eyes are slightly pale) and then gave her red cell to help if she's anemic.

She perked right up after that - can't really say I've seen a difference in her coat since I only gave it to her 2 days ago, but the perkiness was a hopeful sign. If you're not against Red Cell, I'd have DH pick that up too. It should be in the horse section and, in my state, costs about $8 for a gallon jug. I dose it at around 3-6 ml per 50#.
How would you compare Red Cell to loose minerals?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only give red cell when they look like my doe looks now. I had a buckling here for a while too, and he was really rough around the edges so I gave him red cell to up him too.

I keep loose minerals out all the time, the red cell is just a booster.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
I only give red cell when they look like my doe looks now. I had a buckling here for a while too, and he was really rough around the edges so I gave him red cell to up him too.

I keep loose minerals out all the time, the red cell is just a booster.
thanks! We will pick some up on Sunday. DH has already been to the store.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a link about red cell:

http://www.goatworld.com/nutrition/redcell.shtml

It says to administer 15ccs per day for a week in the case of anemia or bottle jaw, both of which come from a worm load or mites. It does warn about not giving it daily as you can overdose the goat. But, IMO, I don't give them anything unless it's warranted so I'm not worried about that.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My cow had/has lice. Dry skin, flaky white stuff and loosing hair. I dosed with ivermec. It seems to be under control now. Even if you do not have a microscope, you can scrape her skin with your fingernail and if you have a magnifying glass, yo should be able to see the critters. Any oil will work, mineral oil is the recommended, but not just to moisturize--it smothers the lice/mites. Besides injecting with ivermec, I dusted her, and put veg. oil on her spine, since that is what I had. I relieves the itchiness and smothers the bugs. Now is the time of year when the bugs go wild.

Latest posts