Sick Hen

Tiggss_99

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I have a very sick hen, My hubby noticed won of my hens laying on the ground so I went and got her, She has a very bloated stomach and a very full crop, she is having trouble sitting and standing, She had alot of feces running down the back of her, I cleaned her up and put her into a cosy box with straw and brought her into the house, I placed the box on a heat pad.

She is only 3 years old i dont know when she laid last i have 5 hens. They are eyes a brown i think see pic.

I have been reading all the other posts regarding sick chickens and they all seem so different.;;'

Please can anyone help I am in Western Australia. I dont think she will make it through the night.
Judy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help you. Have you been on Backyard Chickens yet? If not, it wouldn't hurt to go on there and ask.

Tiggss_99

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yes i also posted on backyard chickens i thought i'd cover both bases. xx

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Maybe impacted crop? I don't know, I usually don't fool with injuries or diseases in the birds. They seem to be hard to pull out of it, and usually aren't the same again. I usually cull them...

Tiggss_99

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you I was just talking about kulling with my husband, I would like to do it myself. I have never done it before and apparently I have another hen that is not looking to good, so I am hoping they arn't fly blown.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have another member who has spoken of sheep getting fly blown. I did not know that chickens could get it too. I think you will be doing the right thing to put her out of her misery.