side of beef

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm ordering a side of beef (the organic, non-hormone, yada, yada, yada kind). Besides the cuts of meat, I have to tell them if I want the following things. Would you take these parts and what would you do with them?

short ribs
soup meat
bones
tallow
kidney

Why wouldn't somebody want the short ribs and soup meat???

Inchworm

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Is that included in your half, or on top of your half? Most people, when buying a side of beef are paying so much per lb. So therefore --they want the most of the best cuts of meat. That list you gave, while it is definitely wanted, might not be worth the per lb. price you are paying.Thats the only thing I can thnk of.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is one of the things I have to ask them. I'm paying about $2.80 per pound. At this point, let's assume that I'm paying for these parts either way.....

So what would I do with these things?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Candles or soap from the tallow?
I know some people have made kidney pie. I've heard of it, never tasted it so I can't recomend it, but its worth a try.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh-my-goodness, where do you live? I would take whatever you don't want!!!

Broth, broth, broth with those bones. Tallow for soap or for feeding the birds, a bit saved for cooking. Kidney for the dog/cat food.

Ask them to cut the bones into 2" pieces for easier handling. I would save a few cut at 4-5" for my dog to have raw, nice marrow ones with some meat clinging to them. Lots of cartilage for the broth gives you a wonderful digestive aid as well as glucosamine for your own joints.

Yes, and eat the rest, soup meat and short ribs.....mmmmmm!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Candles or soap from the tallow?
I know some people have made kidney pie. I've heard of it, never tasted it so I can't recomend it, but its worth a try.
Steak and kidney pie is delicious - if, but only if you like kidneys. It is basically a stew made with beef and kidney pieces, and some onion, maybe carrots and/or parsnips (though I never put veggies in mine, except onions, and maybe mushrooms; veggies on the side :)), and then covered with a pie crust, or puff pastry, and baked till the pastry is golden. My father's favorite meal, and very popular in England. However, if you don't like kidney, or aren't sure, I wouldn't suggest you try this with your beef kidney. If you're just starting out with kidney cookery find some lamb kidneys if you can. They are smaller, milder, and easier to work with, and then you can judge whether you are able for the stronger stuff. It is definitely an acquired taste. (Oh, and if you choose to try it, make sure you soak the kidney in milk for a couple of hours; I do all the prep work first, cut it into the final size pieces, and then soak - it removes some of the strong taste). Otherwise - pet food :lol: