Silly wild turkey....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was watching my goatie-girls grazing in the pasture, and figured it was getting close to the time to make an appointment with the eye doctor. Called dh over from the grill to look and see and give me his opinion.

Yup, what I saw in my pasture was a very large wild turkey tom. Big long beard hanging off his chest. Grazing in the far end of the pasture not too far from the goats.

So I walked out there, just to see what he would do, and he ran into the fence....I backed off, but wanted to get him to fly over and rejoin his flock. He just ran up and down the fence. Then I noticed a well-worn path along the fence at the far end of the pasture. He's been there a while.

My Bourbon Red pair free-ranged in the pasture for less than a week before my 35 pound tom decided to go live in the neighbor's yard. Hopped the four-foot wire horse fence. I caught him and put him back, hoping it was a fluke, but before I could get my own tuckus completely over the fence and back in my yard, he was up on the fence next to me.....I gave him a shove back into the pasture, then went and caught them both (turkeys are easy!!!) and put them back in their stall in the barn.

Sheesh! The BR's get out and the wild one can't! Double sheesh!

Ticks, wanna come hunt him? He's pretty big!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol sounds like the Canadian Geese with their little ones that were outside my bed room window this morning trying to figure out what my call ducks have found so appealing here.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wild turkeys are silly. We had one that would take a dust bath in our flower garden every morning and then preen on our porch. If you would go out the front door while he was there, he would walk off and fuss until you went back in. Then he'd come back and finish preening.

PorchTurkey.jpg

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw a wild (or what I assume to be a wild) on my way to town the other day. I was glad to see her because the area used to be just crawling with wild turks but there's been so much development there that I figured they'd all been chased off. Anyway, this little girl had the brightest, reddest plumage I'd ever seen. Could she be some Bronze cross or something? The wilds they used to have in that area were a brownish/gray color.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard the wild turkeys calling all day today when I was outside, they sound so cool. I love listening to them. I also saw a turkey hen on my way to town today, she was just waltzing down the major highway without a care in the world.

Latest posts