Simple Aquaponics

austintgraf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey guys! So if any of ya'll have read my other posts you probably know that I'm an Ag enthusiast, and is constantly looking for more knowledge and the latest in agriculture. Of course in my searches I've stumbled across aquaponics. Now I've know of it for awhile but just recently have I noticed the explosion of interest in this great farming method. So as you might imagine I was thrilled to death when my brother, a school teacher who has absolutely no interests in agriculture usually, is teaming up with the schools science teacher and a local aquaponics expert to start an in classroom aquaponics system! This of course was amazing to me, because I love the idea of aquaponics, and I love the idea of teaching young people about agriculture in general so this project blew me away so naturally I inquired to go get a sneak peak of the system! So seeing as this is something pretty much anyone could do I thought I would share!

The above image is a view of the whole thing. It is really simple. Built on a stand of concrete blocks to provide height and just a simple wooden construction in which they laid and screwed in a pond liner!

Again another shot of the whole thing.

This design relies heavily on electricity as well as gravity. As you can see the tank is about thirty gallons which is filled with tilapia, which vary slightly in size because in this system the larger ones with be taken to eat and smaller replenished providing a constant source of healthy protein, though I admit I'm unsure if the tilapia will be able to reach a good eating size because the size of the tank, but they are fed simply tetra flakes and are growing exponentially. Inside the tank there is an aeration stone, a heater and of course the pump. The pump is hooked up to the right end of the growing space and pumps in a steady flow of the nutrient filled water, which then is utilized by the various lettuces and herbs that are planted in this space. As the tank fills up the water at the left side the water is gravitationally brought back to the tilapia tank to start back over.

The whole process is relatively simple. They plants just float in small planting cups placed in the foam so that their roots are in the water. As the system becomes better used and more fertile, I've been told that fruiting plants might be a possibility in the future! It's a simple set up that I'm anxious to try, and you all should too! As far as self-sufficiency goes, not only are you creating a valuable protein source, but abundant veggies as well, and with the exception of electricity, it pretty much is self-sufficient itself! We are currently looking into solar panels to take care of the energy part, and adding drop down lights to aid in the growth!

austintgraf

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I hope ya'll like the idea and please feel free to post your own pictures!!

Latest posts