Site's ready for visitors :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish I could tell you… I was in there, in that castle, had a wonderful time too, but didn't pay much attention to the remains of the roof and didn't take pics. I did notice on some ruins that I explored that they built roof beams into the walls to anchor them. I'll see about getting some pics for you in future. Sadly most of these old places are roofless now.

Just trying to wrap my head around how you would roof that is giving me a headache. I mean ok I understand the hips and vallies on the ends of the rectangle but I do not at all understand the hips and vallies of the 4 center peices. It's a qeometry puzzle and it's making by brain hurt... The only thing I can visualize is the center of the roof must have been another story but then the chimneys make absolutely no sense at all.

Or...

Perhaps is was just one huge flat roof slopped to shed water but I see nowhere that the water would escape.

The roof is a mystery... I bet I could spend a week in that castle just getting a feel for how the put a lid on it, old buildings amaze me... Yeah sure it's just a huge rectangle but the roof sure ain't.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just trying to wrap my head around how you would roof that is giving me a headache. I mean ok I understand the hips and vallies on the ends of the rectangle but I do not at all understand the hips and vallies of the 4 center peices. It's a qeometry puzzle and it's making by brain hurt... The only thing I can visualize is the center of the roof must have been another story but then the chimneys make absolutely no sense at all.

Or...

Perhaps is was just one huge flat roof slopped to shed water but I see nowhere that the water would escape.

The roof is a mystery... I bet I could spend a week in that castle just getting a feel for how the put a lid on it old buildings amaze me... Yeah sure it's just a huge rectangle but the roof sure ain't.

I can hear the guys that built this place saying. Ok we laid the last stone. Now how do you propose we put a roof on this thing? Well we go to the Caledonia Forest and fell the largest of trees. We then drag them out with oxen all the way back here. Ok brains... And how do we lift them into place??? You gotta remember these guys didn't have cranes back then. It was nothing but brute strength and smarts that build that.

It makes me want to cry looking at the state of disrepair it's in now though. Such a magnificent building should have been preserved for all to marvel.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh noooooooooo- I made a huge mistake! I gave DH the web address...argh. Gotta go take his credit card away or he'll be booking flights in snout 20 minutes!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It makes me want to cry looking at the state of disrepair it's in now though. Such a magnificent building should have been preserved for all to marvel.
Me too… that is only a small castle, you'd think it would not take much money or effort to preserve it. Many of our castles are in a state of disrepair now, sadly. Some of them are so amazing, it's heartbreaking to see.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I have seen in history books, many of these castles were roofless in the centers, so a courtyard effect. Then, something along shed roofs at the sides.

Now, the huge ones were roofed more and obviously not as "hilly" as this one. :D I would love to walk around inside this one.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Mini Horses the man that lives in the adjacent cottage told me I can go in at my own risk and it was interesting to say the least… Lots of rubble, trees and bushes, pieces of timber. It was more a climb around than a walk around in there! lol

Many of the castles we did get into had stone floors above the entrance floors and then not much of a roof above that, but there was some kind of roof over the top, sadly all gone now in most cases. They are fascinating structures to explore for sure! I love seeing the old fireplaces, alcoves and nooks and crannies and the stairs! Those narrow, twisty stone steps make me so nervous, I'm known to navigate them like a spider, expect much slower!

IMG_1475.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi come to the United States and we'll hike the Appalachian Trail together. Or I can take you to the Mark Twain national Forest and hike the Ozark trail some... It's the only trail I know where perodicly when you cross certain sections machanical mortars are blown off to run the bears off so they don't eat you - it's a great time!

My son and I hiked the Ozark trail in the Mark Twain national Forest 3 years ago. 10 miles of hiking, I found one peice of trash... A plastic sandwich bag that I picked up and put in my pack and threw away. We packed in no water, there are numerous springs to drink from. The section we hiked also has a waterfall where we stripped down and took a refreshing shower of pure mountain spring water - nothing quite like it really. We pitched a tent along the trail which is a no no but we had no other chose because it was getting dark. We awoke to a mountain lion circling our tent, which we frightening off with a few gun shots. It's a great time, that you will never forget. When I find them I'll post some pics here to lure you in.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's a photo I took of the wildlife while hiking the Ozark Trail. Almost the whole time I felt like we were being watched (you know the feeling). I knew there were bears, I couldn't see them or hear them but I could smell them at times and there was no mistaking the piles of bear crap and prints we saw while on the trail.

My son and I stopped to take a breather at the top of a 400' summit. I snapped a bunch of pics while we took a rest. This was one of the pictures I discoved after we got home. This bear was no more than 20' away from us when I snapped this pic. Yep it confirmed my suspicion we were being watched after all.

uploadfromtaptalk1446395242896.jpeg